Friday, July 31, 2009

The "Cost" of raising kids

http://www.parentsconnect.com/articles/cost_of_raising_kids.jhtml

I found this article published by the government to be quite laughable. First of all, because our tax monies is going towards paying multiple people to work on this project every year. Second of all because it's just crazy! According to this Chart we "should" be spending about $15,700 a year on baby E, for a grand total of $290K until she's 18. I think part of the reason that these numbers are a bit inflated is because it includes housing and transportation, but we always considered that a sunk cost because whether or not she existed we'd have a house and cars. THe one that really strikes me is food: $1630. What the heck are you feeding your baby that costs almost $2k a year. Even if you bought only Earth's best and organic everything it STILL won't cost you that much. Eesh. I'm just lazy and E eats whatever we're eating and whatever we have around the house (Her newest fave being tortilla chips). Anywho, just wanted to share this article.

1 comment:

Jaunebug said...

It's amazing how much people think of kids as $$$. When I was working at a private "Catholic" college, one of the students asked me how many kids I was going to have. She assumed that it would depend on how much money my husband and I made. I told her that that wasn't even close to being the biggest factor, and to look at the students around her.

Now, I have nothing against people who work hard and therefore become very wealthy. However, in our office we were daily having to deal with parents who would do almost anything to give their (many times very bratty) COLLEGE students whatever they wanted.

Would I put off having more kids just because we would not be able to afford to give them every material possession they demanded? Hardly.