Thursday, October 15, 2009

Praying before Work

I have often wondered how you can be an example of Catholicism when you are working in a secular workplace. Obviously, actions speak louder than words (something I am sure we have all heard a thousand times!).
However, I have also recently stumbled upon a prayer book that has a prayer called "Prayer before Working". It was then that I realized how important it is to start of your work day praying. It makes doing any kind of job worthwhile.

Here is the prayer:
Prayer Before Working
We beseech Thee, O Lord, to direct our actions by Thy holy inspirations, and carry them on by Thy gracious assistance, that every prayer and work of ours may begin always from Thee, and through Thee be happily ended. Amen.
St. Joseph.
Pray for us.

For those of us who are also still students, this prayer book also has a prayer called "Prayer before Study". I find this prayer to also help me stay focused on the fact that the reason I am able to learn and go to school is through the Grace of God.

Here is the prayer:
Prayer Before Study (adaptation from St. Thomas Aquinas)
Ineffable Creator, Thou art called the true font of light and wisdom, and the origin of all things. Pour forth a ray of Thy brightness into the darkened places of my mind; disperse from my soul the twofold darkness into which I was born: sin and ignorance.
Grant me keenness of mind, capacity to remember, skill in learning, insight to interpret, and eloquence in speech.
May Thou guide the beginning of my study, direct its progress, and bring it to completion.
Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Holy Mary, Seat of Wisdom.
Pray for us.

3 comments:

Chantal said...

Thanks for the prayer! I found it very challenging to stay focused on my faith when I was working full-time. It is so easy to get distracted and forget to talk to Jesus-- and before I knew it my day was over! Some of the things that helped me were to listen to Catholic radio online (this works if you are sitting at a desk), and to set reminders for times during the day when I could say little prayers (the Angelus, meal blessings, a Hail Mary ect). I also bookmarked the daily readings, so I would read them during my breaks. If I was working on something very mundane such as stuffing envelopes or filing papers I would even try to pray a rosary. Fitting daily mass in either before, during lunch or after work is also super helpful when you are busy, because although this is not exactly its purpose, it kind of packs everything you need for the day into 30-45 minutes! Lastly, try to keep Sundays a day of rest! Seems basic, but it really helps you to refocus your daily tasks during the day.

Kathryn Rose said...

I can definitely identify with this post. Our apartment is close to my workplace and I can walk to work in about twenty minutes. I've been using that time for prayer (I can say one rosary from the time it takes me to leave our apartment to reaching my desk). I find it helps me feel happier and whole once I'm at work. It's definitely easy to get distracted from prayer - I love your idea about setting reminders for special prayers like the Angelus. It'd be a great way to remember 3 o'clock for the Chaplet of Divine Mercy; just set a reminder on your phone. Great post!

Unknown said...

yeah, When I was doing carts today at work (I work at Ralphs...) I was able to get 2 full mysteries in :D I was really excited!