Monday, January 26, 2009


My in-laws came for a visit to see their new grandbaby last week. While they were here, my father-in-law re-wished us the gift of "hope". He had asked for this gift for us during his speech at our wedding, and before he left made a point to stop and re-ask for it. (He's has a tendency to talk/pray.)

It's been something we've needing for various reasons (one of which being my husband's being told that he is on a short list to serve for 6 to 12 months over seas in the Navy). And it got me thinking...

The pope's last encyclical was on a hope. And whenever the pope puts out an encyclical, it is because it contains a message we both need, and are ready to hear. Our great desire for this message is seen in Pres. Obama's overwhelmingly successful campaign based on the promise of hope. (Seriously - Benedict should look into copyright infringment.)

So what is it about hope that we need specifically today? Everyone in the world is being called to accept this gift that God is waiting to give us. Why? Why now? Well, I'm not sure. I haven't even read the encyclical yet (I know... jeez).

One thing I can tell you is that while I was typing this, my husband called and told me that his commanding officer just contacted him and told him that things are falling in line so that he probably won't have to go. (Yay! Was not looking forward to my daughter's first word being Afghanistan. God is good!) Another thing I can tell you is, we do not hope in vain.

1 comment:

Apple Jacs said...

Such a beautiful blog Steph! I'm so glad you posted! We truly do need to hope because our Lord lives! There is no need to despair, for God always provides.

So happy to hear that Joseph is likely not leaving you to serve.