Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Slow Cooker Beef Veggie Stew

One of my favorite new things is the slow cooker my husband got me for Christmas. You just throw things in and it cooks for you! Fantastic!!!

Here's a recipe I made last week that was really good:
Beef & Vegetable Soup in a Slow Cooker

2 Cans (14.5oz each) beef broth
2 Cans (5.5oz each) Tomato Juice or V8
1.5 cups chopped veggies of choice (carrots, celery, onions, corns peas, potato, leeks, etc.)
1 cup chopped cooked roast beef (I used beef stew meat that was precut and raw when I threw it in; it melted in your mouth when cooked)
1/4 cup rice (white or brown)
1 tsp dried minced onion
1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning

Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook all day on low setting and Voila!

My husband was appreciating his own gift that night. I served it with mashed potatoes on the side, but said rice would be better next time.

Do you have any slow cooker recipes you like? I'm all about this now!

3 comments:

Jaunebug said...

I love my crock pot too! However, a word of caution...

Even if the recipe calls for noodles, do NOT put them in until right before you eat it (cook them separately).

I cooked the noodles inside the first time I used mine, and it was horrible! The pasta looked normal but broke into goopy water particles in your mouth.

Chantal said...

Easiest recipe ever:

-3-6 uncooked chicken breasts
-1 or 2 jars of salsa (depending on how much chicken)

Cook on low for 6-8 hours, and you get delicious shredded chicken, perfect for tacos! We often just eat it plain, with a side of cilantro-lime rice and beans. Yum!

Apple Jacs said...

Ooooo! What's the cilantro lime rice recipe? You made that once for us and it was sooo good! I'm totally trying that this week!