Friday, March 6, 2009

when to ask and when to let it be...

Last night I was driving home and praying about something and a thought came to my mind that I want to share and get feedback on. I often am conflicted between praying that God bring something to me that I desire and just being accepting of His will. We know that we need to trust in the Lord and be uniform with his will but we also know that he said "whatever you ask will be given to you." In the Old Testament we have the story of Hanna who went to the temple every day crying and begging God to give her a child. Eventually he did grant her request. So how does one know when to beg with tears like Hanna and when to humbly accept the Lord's will and move on? Does anyone struggle with this? What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to admit that I also been struggling with this, especially since Thursday's mass reading about Hanna in the temple.

I have had the thought that maybe we should follow our intuition, or what our hearts tell us. If the sitution makes it so that it feels right to pray to the Lord and ask him for something, then we should pray. If we feel that maybe we should let this happen because it may be the will of the Lord, then we should just let it be.

It could also be that we could pray for the things that we want, but that if the Lord does not want us to have that and has a different destiny for us, then maybe he will let us know somehow that this isn't meant for us.

Hope this helps somehow... :)

Apple Jacs said...

It's certainly ok to let God know what's on your heart. After all, He already knows. The trick is just letting your reason guide your emotions, not the other way around. Hannah didn't go to artificial means of conceiving a child, but she wasn't afraid to beg God.

I know I've been on my knees many times begging God for certain things. He doesn't always answer "yes" though, and our part comes in being at peace with that.