Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Day of Rest

I came across an article this morning about keeping Sundays' a holy day of rest. As simple as it sounds, this is a commandment that I greatly struggle with!

As a student, Sundays were always a homework catch-up day for me. I remember believing that after I finished school, I would finally be able to keep the Sabbath holy. It's been a couple of years now however, and my Sundays have now often become a day to catch up on errands and chores. My new excuse has become "when I have a family, I will get really serious about resting on Sundays".

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states that “On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body,” (No. 2185).

As young adults, we often feel "in between", when it comes to family life. We don't always have a typical Sunday routine, like we may have experienced while growing up at home. Our own families may not be established enough to create new traditions. Regardless, there are so many ways that we can keep Sunday a day for our Lord. One very challenging goal that my husband and I have attempted to follow, is to refrain from eating out, shopping, or participating in any activity that requires of others to work. This is much harder than it sounds! Another idea that a friend recently shared with me is going to adoration on Sundays. Turning off the television and doing some spiritual reading, calling a friend, or going for a walk are other great things we can do.

What do you do to keep Sunday's restful??

No comments: