Thursday, June 11, 2009

Our Father's Love


Yesterday, my daughter took her worst fall yet, and survived, but with a big fat blood-blistered lip to show for it. It was a minor spill, as she just head-butted the ground while crawling, but it was one of the most agonizing moments I've experienced. I felt similar pain when she was sick and vomited for the first time a few weeks ago. I felt so impotent, watching her suffer, knowing there was nothing I could do to take it away, and yet I would've done just about anything to make it stop.

This made me think, how much our Blessed Mother suffered! When Simeon said "A sword shall pierce your heart," he wasn't kidding. I can't imagine anything comparing to watching your child suffer the ultimate in suffering. But she accepted it, as the Lord's will, for she knew that He was saving us. How her heart must ache when we reject that salvation.

All the more, how much LOVE does God the Father have for US! Holy Moly! Now, I love you girls, but I don't think I would sacrifice my daughter's life for yours or anyone else's (no offense). God the Father, willingly put his son on Earth to do just that. Even when His Son was pleading with Him to take the cup away, He still allowed Him to suffer and die for us all. THAT IS LOVE!

So I look to Our Lady of Sorrows in awe of her sacrifice and God the Father for His, and I thank them both, along with Our Lord, Jesus Christ who offered himself to save us all. Who'd of thought a little boo-boo would lead to such a meditation!

1 comment: