Wednesday, June 10, 2009


Unless you live in a bubble, it is likely that you have heard of the Jon & Kate Plus 8 buzz in the media. In the past few weeks, tabloids, magazines and entertainment news shows have been focusing on the couple's struggling marriage. And from the looks of it, Jon and Kate are riding this media wave despite the effects that it has on their family; the show's ratings are higher than ever.

I've been a fan of the show since its beginnings. Like many, I've enjoyed watching the adorable Gosselin children interact, and have been fascinated by the methods Kate uses to run her large household. For most of us longtime fans however, we started noticing changes long before the affair accusations began. In the past few years the Gosselin family home has become a platform for endorsements and product placement, and it has become difficult to ignore Kate's physical "transformation". Even more, in most recent episodes it became clear that Jon and Kate's playful banter during their on-screen interviews was becoming less playful, and much more bitter. I remember feeling a little sad after watching certain episodes, because Jon and Kate seemed so unhappy.

My dilemna is as follows: I have yet to watch this season's premiere. I have seen a few heartbreaking clips from the episode, and I am struggling to decide whether watching a couple's marriage fall apart is an appropriate form of entertainment. Of course with all of the drama surrounding the family, the temptation to watch is stronger than ever. At the same time, I can't help but to be angry at Jon and Kate for continuing to film, despite their broken marriage. They are clearly not putting their children's needs above the show!

Do you think that a boycott of the reality show is needed? It is unlikely that my personal decision not to watch will make a difference to TLC producers, but will it make a difference in my own life?

2 comments:

Apple Jacs said...

Personally, I have continued watching out of my own curiosity and because I'm just hoping to see a happy ending, but with every episode, fast-forward more. The show has just been teaming up with other reality shows and stars to do specials. It is no longer showing ordinary life because they no longer live ordinary lives.

It is sad to watch their marriage deteriorate, as they can't even sit on the same couch for an interview, and they rarely speak when in the same room on the show. You could cut the tension with a knife and I really think I'm going to stop watching because it's not even entertaining. It's just depressing and vapid. They've stopped showing any Christian values. It really is a shame.

I do still hope that their fame benefits them in that someone like Dr. Laura or better yet, a priest or pastor reaches out to them to help them repair their family.

Lee said...

My 7 year old daughter used to LOVE to watch this show but I haven't let her watch it this season. Broken families make me REALLY sad... You might check out this article by Elizabeth Foss http://catholicherald.com/opinions/detail.html?sub_id=10320

Which has some good Catholic insight on the situation... also, I heard of the comparing of J & K plus 8 to the Duggers... taking note of how the Goselin children were concieved (artificially) and how the Dugger children were concieved (about as close to Theology of the Body without being Catholic, as you can get...) and how the two couples interact with each other... as was noted, Kate and Jon seemed to grow more and more irritated with one another, while the Duggers still get all starry eyed with each other... Says something, I think, about the Catholic Church's stance on the use of artificial methods of conception (invitro, etc...)... God has a plan, and it's really best to leave it up to Him when, where, and how many...

God Bless, Girls! Good job! : )