Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Ephesians 5


I know I am a single woman but I love Ephesians 5. Of all the wedding reading this one is my favorite and I love when couples choose to have it read at their wedding Mass. I often see women struggle with this teaching and I think it is because many do not understand the passage. When Saint Paul talks about wives being in submission to their husbands he is not talking about domination. To be submissive means to be under the mission of something. This is why women, we need to marry men who have the mission of getting their family to heaven. Then we can trust, not worry, and love the idea of being submissive. I read a reflection on Ephesians 5 today and I think the following paragraph is beautiful.


"Note that St. Paul describes wives’ subjection to their husbands as the prototype for the Church’s subjection to Christ. Does the Church feel cheated because She is formed from the side of Christ? Does the Church feel slighted because She must follow Christ (to Her salvation)? Yet the hairs rise on the necks of feminists when women are made the prototype of the Church. Christ loves the Church. It is the object of His great affection. Women are made prototype to this image of Christ’s affection. How can one take offense? The wife should embrace the honor given her as prototype for the Church: that instrument of Christ, that bride of Christ, through which graces flow — through which all men come to their salvation. Women are the prototype of this worthy bride!"


As a side note, this is what women represent when they wear the veil at Mass. The Church is holy and so must be veiled. Women are a prototype for the Church so they veil themselves at Mass.

1 comment:

Apple Jacs said...

Amen Sista! It's tough to live out perfectly but we are called to, and I know my household is such a more peaceful, loving one, when I am filling my role according to this scripture.