Monday, February 22, 2010

A Last Dance


There was a time when dancing was like brushing my teeth-- it was simply something that I did. I trained for as much as 5-hours a day, and although I loved and enjoyed it, I definitely took these hours for granted.

Nowadays taking a dance class is a special privilege for me. I am sure that any mother can relate to the challenge of making time in the day to simply take a shower, nevermind finding a couple of hours to wisk yourself off to the studio! As a result, I now cherish every single moment of my dance classes. I love the sound of the ultra-loud music pulsing the room, the liberating feeling of my body moving through space, and even the lovely aches and soreness that follow me home afterwards. I find myself spending every second of my 90-minute class completely focused on the instructor, soaking in the exercises and fine-tuning every detail and mechanic of my movements. A large neon bus could probably drive through the wall of the studio, and I wouldn't even notice. By the end I always find myself physically and mentally exhausted. I never know when I will get another chance to return, so I truly treat each class as my last.

I realize that this is nothing new; we often hear the saying "seize the day". Even so, I feel that in the busyness and ordinariness of daily life, I often forget to cherish each moment. I can't help but wonder what I could have accomplished had I treated every dance class as I do now. Although this thought is pointless, it leads me to reflect on other areas of my life. What if I listened to music, as though it were my last song? What if I spoke, as though this was our last conversation? What if I prayed, like it was my last prayer?

Thank you Lord, for the gift of the present. Please help us to cherish each day!

1 comment:

RAnn said...

Welcome to St. Blogs. I'd like to invite you to participate in Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival. We are a group of bloggers who gather weekly to share our best posts with each other. You can read this week's host post at http://rannthisthat.blogspot.com/2010/02/sunday-snippets-catholic-carnival_27.html