Friday, February 12, 2010

Olympic Pride


For the first time I cannot say I have lived in Canada longer than I have lived in the United States. I will be an alien of twelve years this summer, and at the age of twenty-four, this makes my primary national residence split right down the middle of my life timeline.

My husband always bothers me about cheering for Canada in the Olympics and having pride in my home country. He accuses me of living in the past. Since I am currently a US resident, why wouldn't I devote my alliances to America?

The truth is that it is not about how long I have lived at a certain address. It is more than this-- Canada IS my childhood. Canada is my teddy bear, worn out because she was so loved. Canada is the comforting smell of my mom's perfume when she hugs me. It is my cozy and dry clothes, after swimming or skiing. Canada is a delicious homemade dinner after playing outside all day long. It is my first memories of Christmas, surrounded by family, food and a fire burning in the fireplace. In many ways, Canada is home... home to the child in me.

This year, my husband and I will be watching the Olympics from Australia. Of course, Michael had it coming when I asked him if he would be cheering for Oz, since this is where we currently live. I think he is finally starting to understand my commitment to the country on my passport. Who will you be supporting this Olympic season?

4 comments:

Kathryn Rose said...

I've been excited for these Olympic games for years now. I'm all about Canadian Olympic hockey and I'll always cheer for them, no matter how long I might live in America.

When it comes to citizenship and passports, dual passports, etc., for Canada it's "Once a Canadian, Always a Canadian" and I really believe that. I think that it's great for you to hold on to your birth country's importance in your life because we do have a great connection to it.

These games will be an awesome thing for Vancouver, and being able to historically experience Canada with the rest of the world will be unforgettable, even if it is only through a TV.

(PS. Justin also teases me for cheering for Canada. I think it's an American thing, eh?)

Go Team Canada!

Apple Jacs said...

You remind me of Leo's parents. We were just talking to Leo's dad about how he's now lived in the US longer than in Colombia. He still, however, won't become officially an American citizen, though he's quite eligible. He feels like a trader to his country if he does it, and really, I can't blame him. I can't imagine become a citizen of any country other than the US.

Those childhood memories are precious, and even though I only lived there a few years, Boston will always be my hometown. Go BoSOX!

Little Monkey said...

Something about the Olympics brings out pride in one's country. I am always so proud of the US when someone from here wins gold. Keep cheering for your Candians girl!

Jaunebug said...

When I met the french family I nannied for, they were talking about the olympics. They were excited because France got 3 medals. They then asked me how many the US got.... "um... 103."

They looked a little sad and then said "Well - you are basically a continent."

I know we have an unfair advantage because we have huge resources of money and people for training. But seriously - I *love* it when US wins. It makes me all warm and happy. =)