Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Are we really pro-life?

I took my little 6-month niece/goddaughter to Mass with me on Sunday evening. I look very young and I am not married so do not wear a ring on my finger. I kept noticing throughout the church people looking at me with a look of disappointment and concern. As soon as I noticed they were staring at me they would awkwardly smile. I quickly realized that they probably thought my niece was my daughter and I was a single mom. Because I look so young they probably thought I was a teen/early 20's single mom. All these people apparently were disappointed with me. How pro-life is that? We tell girls to carry their babies to term but then we give them dirty looks for doing so. We need to do everything we can to encourage people to practice abstinence until marriage but if they do not and a young girls gets pregnant we MUST shower her with love and support. We need to honor her and celebrate her for not making another terrible decision. Then we need to encourage her to change her sexual behaviors. I understand now why so many girls feel pressured to have an abortion. If we are going to be pro-life, we need to be pro-life all the way and support girls who choose life, no matter what their situation.

2 comments:

Andi said...

i know what you mean...ive gotten plenty of stares of concern when im out with the baby and i dont have my rings on (theyre still just a bit to tight). we really do need to support these women beyond makin g the desicion to chose life.

Chantal said...

I am so proud of a teenage family member of mine who recently had an unexpected pregnancy, and she not only chose life but also married the baby's father. Their healthy baby boy was born last Friday! Does anyone have an idea for a special gift of admiration that I could give the new parents? They have been very special examples in my life!