Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mother Poem - By Katherine Mai



Today I left some dishes dirty,
The bed got made around two-thirty;
The diapers soaked a little longer,
Their odor grew a little stronger,
The crumbs I spilled the day before
Were staring at me from the floor;
The fingerprints on the wall
I guess will still be there next fall;
The dirt streaks on the window panes
Will still be there next time it rains.
"For shame, oh lazy one," you say,
"And just what did you do today?"
I nursed a baby till she slept;
I held a toddler while she wept.
I played a game of hide-and-seek.
I squeezed a toy so it would squeak;
I pulled a sled, I sang a song.
I taught a child what's right and wrong.
What did I do the whole day through?
Not much that shows, iI guess it's true.
Unless you think that what I've done
Might be important to someone
With bright blue eyes and soft blonde hair,
If that is true, I 've done my share.

1 comment:

Chantal said...

Very Cute-- Reminds me of this awesome quote:

"A mother is the most important person on earth. She cannot claim the honor of having built Notre Dame Cathedral. She need not. She has built something more magnificent than any Cathedral -- a dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby's body." -- Joseph Cardinal Mindszenty