Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Beauty of Dresses

Since the last dress dare, I have only worn jeans a handful of times without a tunic type shirt, and otherwise, it's been skirts and dresses. I felt very convicted to stick with it when the dare ended. Since last May, I have also completed a pregnancy, and lost the baby weight (I think, I try to avoid the scale). Each of the few times that I put on pants without a long shirt/dress over, I found myself so insecure, so self-conscious.

I was so aware of how big my hips, thighs, waist, were. I was perfectly healthy, and either pregnant, or post-partum, but I felt so guilty every time I put on my jeans. I fit in my pre-pregnancy jeans a few months after delivering our 2nd child, but nonetheless, even though they fit my waist, I was more aware of any weight gain in my bum, or otherwise. In my dresses and skirts, I didn't notice the slight changes that might occur on a day to day basis from the holiday treats, or a busy week without time for workouts.

I have come to realize that for me, jeans are the devil's playground. It may not be that way for all women, but for me, that is what this dare made me realize in the last year, so I am doing my best to avoid them altogether. The Lord wants us to know that our beauty lies within our soul, not in our physique, and as long as we're healthy, and caring for our temple, then we have nothing to worry about. I am wearing my dresses and skirts because they help me stay focused on true beauty. Pay attention this month, and see if you notice a difference when you look in the mirror.

1 comment:

Cammie Diane said...

I have a similar relationship with jeans...

I don't wear them after noticing the drastic difference in reactions that I get when I do wear them... it definitely wasn't a positive thing!

Great post!