Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Peace




I logged on to my facebook account yesterday and felt a knot form in my stomach when reading the status comments all over my news-feed.   USA "Chants" and celebratory comments such as "Take that Bin Laden" were everywhere.

As relieved as I am to be rid of the threat that this man posed to so many people, it sickens me to see Americans on the news celebrating a person's death as though they just won a sporting event.  As somebody mentioned to me, it makes us no better than watching videos of Al Qaeda celebrate their victory of the 9-11 terrors.

Of course, the Church responded quickly, and I think that their statement sums it all up:

"In the face of a man's death, a Christian never rejoices, but reflects on the serious responsibilities of each person before God and before men, and hopes and works so that every event may be the occasion for further growth of peace and not hatred." 

(Vatican, May 2, 2011)

I also enjoyed this post on the National Catholic Register.  "Let's pray"...

1 comment:

myfairmatron said...

That's such a great point. It would be hypocritical of us to say anything contradicting the dignity of ANY life, even his, but it's getting lost in the collective singing. I found Blessed John Paul II's message for the World Day of Peace in 2002 to be especially helpful reading material, as it dealt directly with the 9/11 events.