Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Dressed for the Sacrament


It is hard to host a dress dare without mentioning THE gown that everybody is talking about this week.  Needless to say, I won't shock anyone by stating that it is one of the most beautiful wedding dresses the public eye has seen lately!

A little over three years ago, I was searching for a wedding dress, and was utterly surprised by the lack of options.  Although I realize that it has become common to get married outdoors (or wherever you want) in the past years, I assumed that since many brides still do get married in Churches, appropriate gowns would be available somewhere!  Sleeves like Kates' were definitely not an option in most bridal boutiques, and even finding a gown with straps was a challenge!  The endless racks of designer wedding dresses all resembled a white version of the (strapless) party-dress-- definitely not something to wear while receiving my vocation sacrament in front of our Lord's tabernacle.

I ended up finding a gown that I loved for my reception-- and my mom sewed a beautiful bolero for me to wear during our marriage ceremony.  It is funny because looking back, I love the photos of my gown with the bolero more than without!

Why is it that Catholic brides are not covering up their shoulders in Churches these days is definitely a question that I wonder often.  Perhaps we haven't been loud enough about asking designers to give us more modest options.  Nevertheless,  I have much hope that all of the positive response about Kate's dress will start providing brides with alternatives to the tube top.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm over here from Bethany's site, and I agree! While I'm not opposed to strapless dresses, spaghetti straps, etc on a date night, or a hot summer day...Church isn't EVER the place for them.

When I got married, our Archdiocese had a rule (in 2006) that brides and their bridal party HAD to have sleeves...and not just spaghetti straps. I had these adorable little cap sleeves, and more people commented about how beautiful it was that I had sleeves! They weren't long, but I didn't feel exposed at all on our special day.

Karen said...

I had long sleeves for my wedding, and got a lot of compliments on the modesty of it!

Jaunebug said...

So agree! When I first saw her dress (expecting some variation of the wedding tube), I got so excited that not only was it beautifully modest, but that it would mean that dresses with sleeves would come more into fashion.

My husband's first reaction was also to simply say "Wow! An actual dress!"

Melissa said...

I wonder if the positive response isn't just because it's a Royal Family wedding... I wonder if it's also because it sends a strong message to women that modesty is beautiful? And that is pulling at the hearts of so many women (and men!)...

There is something about the Royal Family that upholds the dignity of women. Though there are some things that they don't uphold (not living together before marriage), it was pretty spectacular to see such a stunning dress that was modest! Yey God!