Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Maternity Photos- Worthwhile?

A family member of mine is an amazing photographer, and has offered several times to take some maternity photos for me.

This is my second pregnancy, and with my first I hardly took any photos of my bump and I at all.  My swelled-up cheeks rivaled those from when I got my wisdom-teeth pulled in 9th grade, and my constant nausea made taking photographs the last thing on my mind.  Overall, pregnancy makes me feel self-conscious (everybody openly notices and comments on your body!), and I was not sure that I needed professional photos to remind me of it.  Lastly, I've noticed that many women choose to take maternity photos naked(!), and even the thought of my bare belly showing in a photograph makes me uncomfortable.

On the other hand, I hear from many friends that they truly cherish photos from their pregnancies, and are glad they took the time to take them.  I also think that it would be a neat keepsake for the child-- to see what his/her mother looked like when he/she was in the womb, and how exciting their arrival was to the entire family.  More than anything, I love how pro-life these photos are.  They truly celebrate the beginnings of a new life!

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, but I am curious-- what is your opinion about maternity photo shoots?

4 comments:

Living Naturally? said...

I agree that looking back on plump cheeks and my very round body sometimes make me cringe, but I love and really cherish the maternity photos I have of my first. I guess I really had to embrace the fact that my body would do anything for this unborn child - including to grow and swell and plump up to nourish that baby - and it took awhile to convince myself not to be embarrassed by my new look! (After all, it doesn't last forever, right?) I'm not into the naked photos, but documenting such an important part of our lives was important to me. (And keep in mind, you don't have to share the photos with anyone if you don't want, but you will always have them.) And I'm actually really looking forward to the next photos, with my first hugging the belly, etc...

Long answer. But congratulations to you! ;-D

Apple Jacs said...

I love maternity photos, but not bare belly shots. I think the belly of a woman should always be veiled, as it is the tabernacle of the woman, and the height of its fulfillment is during pregnancy. To me, it should be veiled all the more, just as the tabernacle in a church is. It is meant only for the husband of the woman and father of the child. I do think, though, that some very classy maternity photos can be done with fabrics, shadows, etc.

You could have your husband take some bare belly shots for your future child, but honestly, I've seen my mom in pictures with me pregnant, clothed, and I've never had any desire to see her bare pregnant belly.

Florence said...

At 50 years old I'm well past the maternity stage. I don't have many photos of me during pregnancy, but I have found there are many other ways to let your child know the anticipation, love and excitement their arrival has generated. For example, tender journal entry might be more meaningful than an potentially uncomfortable photo. If God has given you the calling of motherhood, He will guide you to do what is best for you and your child.

Andi said...

First of all the lady in the photo has a cute belly...mine does not look quite so cute with the stretch marks and popped out belly button, and I have no desire to take maternity pictures and hubby knows not to ever take a camera out when I'm in labor. I do have to say that I have 1 belly shot from my first pregnancy that I truly cherish, but I was still cute 2nd trimester prego and we had our hands in the shape of a heart over my bump so it was mostly hidden. It's really just a body image thing with me. I don't feel more feminine, just more awkward when I'm pregnant.

I don't think naked photos are appropriate (you never know who sees the photos during processing!) and I would be MORTIFIED if I found pictures of my mother only wearing a shawl or nothing at all. Uncomfortable!

My friend is doing a cute series of photos of her bump growing week to week (with clothes on) and it is just darling!