Friday, September 6, 2013

Adventures in Homeschooling, Part 1

Hooray! We have just finished our first week of kindergarten homeschooling, and I still have hair! For those of you who are experienced homeschooling moms, you're probably thinking, chill out lady, but this is a whole new world for me, as I attended both private and public schools, and didn't know a single home-schooled child growing up. That said, I am fully committed to this endeavor, at least mentally.

In the fall of last year, I officially started homeschooling our 4 year old daughter using Seton's pre-K curriculum. It was cute, comprehensive, and she really enjoyed it. More than anything, I did it for my own self-discipline, because I am a creature of habit, and I knew that if we were going to go this route, I'd better start training myself now. I told my husband that I knew this was the best thing for her and our family in my mind, but I did not "want" to do it. However, we were going with what I knew to be true, not so much what I felt like, because the more I study theology, the more I learn that our reason should guide us and our emotions, not the other way around. Easier said than done, but I knew what I had to do...

My little pre-schooler flew through most of her school work. We had days where she insisted that one should write 3's like capital E's, or that D makes that T sound, and I realized, this is why I'm doing this. It's not easy and it doesn't come naturally to me, but that's why this is good for me, as well as her. My daughter is also a typical daddy's girl, so if anyone in the home butts heads, it's us, but that's also why I'm doing this. We need to find a way to communicate and understand one another for better or worse. She's stuck with me as her mother, and I love that. Surprise, surprise, we're bonding. I'm doing this because I believe it's best for our souls.


Children have a natural right to be educated primarily by their parents. Our brains with their ability to reason are what separate us from the rest of the animal kingdom. They take much of our life to form. Just as we spend those first few years, watching what we eat and do so carefully as we house them in our bodies, and then nurse them, introduce foods cautiously, baby proof the house, etc., how much more should we monitor what's going into their minds, as their souls approach the age of reason. Homeschooling is on the rise in our nation today, for countless reasons, and there are a multitude that led us to this decision. We'll take it day by day, but for now, one week into kindergarten, not only is my mind set on this path, but my heart is now warm to the idea.


In just a few days I've learned so much about my daughter's strengths and areas for improvement. I've played with my kids in a focused manner, blocking out phone calls & text messages. I was able to reward both for a job well done, rather than banishing to the corner (which happened later on, but not during school hours;-)) Here's a big one... we made it to noon mass! Over the summer I was waking up and going at 6:30am because wake up times were less predictable and we were usually too hectic midday to remember to get to mass. This week, however, we did it more than once! I'm not trying to boast, I'm just genuinely impressed that the regularity of the school schedule has helped us all to be more efficient, more organized, and more punctual. It is definitely a form of self-donation, educating one's children, but I'm learning the joys of it.To be continued...

No comments: