Saturday, September 7, 2013

Slowing Down

There was an article posted a couple weeks ago that really caught my attention. It is about a mom who was constantly telling her daughter to "hurry up". It was only when her older daughter made a comment about her sister being slow did the mom start to realize she was " a bully who pushed and pressured and hurried a small child who simply wanted to enjoy life." 

This article really made me think about how I try to keep to somewhat of a schedule throughout the day and got frustrated when things don't go according to my plan. Then I thought about how much time is taken out of each day to be WITH my children. Sure we are "with" each other all day every day, but how much of my time is devoted to them and what they want to do instead of what I tell them we are doing. Now in my defense I have had 5 babies (one in heaven, 4 on earth) in the last 7 years and I am busy! But none the less, they needed my attention more, so I decided to devote (and this sounds lame, but) at least 15 to 20 minutes a day doing what THEY want to do. You guys want to have a water fight? Okay, the dishes can wait. You want to play Legos? Okay, I guess dinner doesn't HAVE to be at 6.  I could go on and on... These changes have really improved my relationship with them. I see how God created them each differently. They all have different interests and it is fun to see and play with them. Tony, 6, always asks to play sports. John Paul, 4, wants to pretend or read a book and Jimmer, 3, wants to be pushed on the swing. I try to divide my time and sometimes we even all play together! You should see me trying to teach them how to play baseball, classic!

I should note that this was just over the summer and now I have started homeschooling again. I have found that I have a much better attitude during our school day and I don't worry about just "getting it done". My oldest just started 1st grade and so the work load is a full day, much different from an hour of kindergarten last year. We are about to start our third week so we are still getting back into school mode. I have lots to learn about managing a household and school, but thankfully my husband is 100% behind me and is patient with me as I try to manage everything. Please keep us in your prayers.




Here is the website the article was on (you might have to copy and paste):
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3624798

1 comment:

Chantal said...

I love this! I often reflect at the end of the day whether or not I made a sincere connection with my boys. It amazes me how easily this simple goal can slip away during the busy-ness of it all, even as a stay-at-home mom!