Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Femininity in the Media


For months now, I have been considering my following of the reality television series "18 Kids and Counting" a guilty pleasure. I was reflecting over what it is that draws me to the show, and narrowed it down to one person-- Michelle Duggar. This woman truly inspires me!

Throughout all of her interviews she constantly exudes humility, grace, peacefulness and femininity. I am sure that many viewers must watch the Duggars mockingly, due to their large family size and God-centered life, yet Michelle Duggar is never defensive. In fact, she always finds a gentle way to see goodness in every person and situation that the Duggar family faces. I admire her quiet strength-- an active submission to her call to holiness. All in all, Michelle is clearly a witness of a woman at peace with God's will for her life.

My purpose of this post is not to place Michelle Duggar on a pedestal, but rather to point out a positive example of femininity in the media. Do you watch 18 Kids and Counting? Can you think of any other women on television who "define beauty" to you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree! I just watched "18 Kids and Counting" last night and I was thinking the same thing... Michele is always so happy and always looks for the positive in everything. Such an uplifting attitude :)

Maria said...

I love this show - the rest of my family can't stand it so I end up watching it by myself. But I find it calming and it always puts me in a good mood.