Monday, September 28, 2009

The Pope's message to Young Adults

Pope Benedict addressed 10,000 young people in Prague this morning, and delivered an awesome message regarding vocations. Here are some highlights from his talk.

"In every young person there is an aspiration towards happiness, sometimes tinged with anxiety: an aspiration that is often exploited, however, by present-day consumerist society in false and alienating ways. Instead, that longing for happiness must be taken seriously, it demands a true and comprehensive response. At your age, the first major choices are made, choices that can set your lives on a particular course, for better or worse."

“Many of you He calls to marriage...the preparation for this Sacrament constitutes a real vocational journey...Consider seriously the divine call to raise a Christian family, and let your youth be the time in which to build your future with a sense of responsibility. Society needs Christian families, saintly families!"
"And if the Lord is calling you to follow Him in the ministerial priesthood or in the consecrated life, do not hesitate to respond to His invitation. In particular, in this Year for Priests, I appeal to you, young men. ... The Church in every country, including this one, needs many holy priests and also persons fully consecrated to the service of Christ, Hope of the world.”
Our Holy father challenges us to become messengers of Hope in the world, by responding to the vocation God gives us. We must strive to “live [our] faith with joy and enthusiasm; to grow in unity among [ourselves] and with Christ; to pray and to be diligent in frequenting the Sacraments, especially the Eucharist and Confession," Pope Benedict said.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=17243

2 comments:

Apple Jacs said...

The Pope telling me to frequent the Eucharist...yet another reminded that I must be more disciplined about daily mass. I have been finding this invaluable in my life lately. He's right.

I've learned the hard way that I am far to weak to go without it, as well as regular confession with a spiritual director (which he recently strongly recommended for all young adults in a separate address) or regular confessor.

Thanks Papa Benedeto!

Jaunebug said...

Great posts!

Today I also have been thinking about daily Mass. I remember growing up, we could always tell the days that my mom did not go to Mass (it was scary how much you could tell!).

It's so beautiful and so clearly good for me. (I mean really, God vs. sheets? Please. Not hard.) But oh man, when I'm in bed and all snuggly it's so easy to just turn over and nurse my baby back to sleep...

It's too bad my alarm can't be the pope's voice. Nothing like a German yelling in your ear "GO RECEIVE JESUS" to get you motivated.