Monday, March 15, 2010

Can't live without it...


All of the pregnant bellies I have seen lately confirm the fact that Spring is in the air! A new "mum" recently stopped me in the store to ask me what baby items she needed. I am far from being a baby expert, but there are a few things that definitely made my life easier that I would recommend splurging on.

1) A realllyyyyy comfortable rocking chair with an ottoman. You would not believe how many hours you spend rocking. If it isn't comfy enough to sleep in it, it isn't good enough.

2) A good quality carrier/sling. My favorites are the Moby wrap and the ERGOBaby Carrier. Don't waste your money on the baby Bjorn-- by the time I had recovered from my csection to use it, Dominic was too heavy to be carried comfortably in it.

3) A video baby monitor. I do not technically own one (yet), but now that my baby is a little older, I can see the value in it. It would be helpful to be able to see if the baby truly needs me while he is napping, or if he is just resettling himself.

4) Muslin baby blankets. Babies love to be swaddled any time of the year, and with these thin blankets you don't have to worry about them overheating. They are also great to throw over a stroller or infant car seat when the baby is napping.

5) Baby Bouncer Seat. I didn't think I would need this initially, until I realized that I only have two arms, and realistically cannot hold the baby all day long. Thanks to the bouncer seat, I was able to take a quick shower (once in awhile).

6) A king-size bed. I don't have this one either, but for all engaged couples out there-- splurge on this one. Even if you swear you will never have the baby in bed with you, just do it. I promise you will thank me one day.

Ok Mommies... What other items would you add to this list??

5 comments:

Andi said...

I'd say go with a Cal King :). The best sleep we've ever had since being parents was at a hotel where we put Ella (2 months old) in a crib and she slept the entire night and we slept as far apart from each other as possible.

I second the comfy rocking chair, the Moby and Ergo, and muslin swaddling blankets. And hopefully I can convince Matt to let me buy a bouncer this time :).

And I'll add some other favorite:
1. Mini food processor (or a regular one if that's what you have) so you can make baby food.

2. A Pack n Play. Ours has a bassinet and changing table so we kept it in our room last time around and this time it's downstairs. I can't even say enough good things about how useful it's been every step of the way.

3. Nursing pillow. i got bad carpal tunnel last time so now I've got a Brest Friend and a Boppy to hopefully save me from going to physical therapy again.

4. Nursing cover.

5. Cloth diapers. I just love them. And cloth wipes. I just made a bunch and I'm so excited to use them on little g.

6. Car seat adapter for my stroller. Ok, so it's kinda a slap in a face that the company who makes our stroller already charges a ton of money for the stroller then you have to pay an additional $50 to snap your carseat in. Hubby refused to let me get it last time and it was so hard to lug that bucket around. This time I found it on Craigslist for $20 so I put my foot down and got it.

7. Craigslist. I've gotten awesome deals on unused newborn pjs and cloth diaper covers. We even got her crib and mattress for 1/3 of the price. Don't be afraid to use used things!

Apple Jacs said...

I couldn't agree more with those suggestions! I also loved our Deluxe Sleep Positioner with Incline. Mina slept in there in between Leo and I for probably 4 months. It has a little nightlight in the top and made me feel so much better about co-sleeping because she could be in between us safely, and when old enough, we could position her on her side which she much preferred to her back.

I'm going to have to check out craigslist now for a bouncer for little Lucas!

Jaunebug said...

Bouncers are the best! I still occasionally put Clair in it to take a shower (but she can get out of it now, so I only use it when i can see her).

A good jogger stroller. One that you are comfortable using and is easy to push. Walking is so good for moms (mentally and physically) and having a stroller you're happy to use means that you will actually go out. I got mine on craigslist for super cheap (comparatively) and am now looking for a good double stroller... any suggestions?

Chantal said...

A double stroller?! Are you expecting?!?!?

Andi said...

My personal faves are the Maclaren double umbrella (that thing folds up like a dream) and the Graco duo doubles at that Babies R Us carries. They just fold so easily. Although I have to say that the Bumbleride and BOB type strollers are my fave for two. I tried a bajillion double strollers to find my faves...and we are now stuck with one I don't like and won't use due to circumstances way outside my control. Oi.