Friday, October 8, 2010

Finding a Healthy Balance

I was recently listening to a friend of mine describe a diet that she was following.  You sign up with a company who provides you with all of your food and a meal plan to follow.  You cannot deviate from the meal plan at all-- but you also do not have to think or worry about what to eat, and what not to eat.  My friend was convinced that this was perfect for her, because she felt that she could not trust herself to make the right choices when it came to eating.

I think what surprised me the most was the rest of the women in the room's response to the idea of dieting.  The majority of the group seemed to speak about dieting as though it were necessary, and a part of everyday life.  These days there are hundreds and thousands of different diets out there, and hundreds of companies and books who make a profit in claiming to "help" you lose weight.  Have you ever found it ironic that as the diet industry grows, so does our waistlines?  More than ever, obesity is becoming a health issue in our country.  I realize that there are many many factors involved, but I can't help but wonder if "dieting" is part of the problem.

As a teenager, I spent some time controlling my weight with VERY restrictive eating.  I was able to sustain it for a few years, but eventually things started to spin out of control.  I was on a starvation/binge cycle-- feeling more out of control than ever.

I often still struggle with my relationship with food, but I can promise you that at this time in my life, I do not use any form of self-control when it comes to food.  I eat whatever I want, whenever I want.  If I were to be completely honest, I would tell you that I have dessert after every meal, and often in between as well.  I eat when I am hungry, and (most of the time) do not eat when I am not.  And I am not fat-- in fact, I have never felt better

By listening to my body's cues, I have been able to find a peaceful balance with food.  God gave us food as fuel, but also for pleasure!  There will be some days when I will eat a nutrient-dense salad, but there will be other days when I polish off an entire batch of brownies.  There will be some days when I walk 7 miles, and others when I don't walk much further than the distance from my living room to my kitchen.  There will be days when my skinny jeans will stay hung up in my closet, and days when I wear them comfortably.  And hopefully, if I listen to what my body needs, on most days I will fall somewhere in between.

I have no doubt that my friend will lose some weight if she follows the diet appropriately.  But what about afterward?  I am willing to bet that a diet like this will never help you to feel better about your body.  This is because most diets train its followers to ignore their bodies hunger cues.  If we aren't listening to our bodies, how will we learn to identify our body's cues when we are full from eating?  How will we know when our body needs food for energy, or perhaps a meal for comfort? 

Beauty is not defined by fitting into a certain size of jeans.  Beauty is about being the person who God made you to be.  We need to trust that by listening to our bodies, we will find a healthy balance.  And lastly, we should be praising Him that eating is enjoyable-- I can't imagine it any other way!

5 comments:

Apple Jacs said...

So true! This is one thing that motherhood has helped me with. Being pregnant, I've actually had to learn self-control with food because as the belly grows, by stomach shrinks and I end up in pain if I eat normal sized portions. Then, when nursing, I can't eat enough, and because the hunger sensation is so strong, I now know even better when I'm hungry and when I'm not, so I can eat accordingly.

Beautiful post.

Chantal said...

Yeah thats true Apple Jacs! I think that pregnancy really forced me to let go of "expectations" and just eat what I needed. I remember planning to eat really healthy and organic... But morning sickness took over-- so I just ate what sounded decent (even if it meant an entire "forbidden" box of crackers), and everything turned out just fine :).

Anna Villareal said...

I love food! :) You both are awesome examples of good eating habits :) yay!

Little Monkey said...

Now i want the chocolate cake pictured at the end of the blog...

parkerkrist said...

this is great that companies has come up with food and a meal plan to follow. But this is also true that as the diet industry grows, so does our waistlines?
I think you should provide me with the company name so that even I can approach them.


online coupons napels