Friday, October 15, 2010

Making Every Penny Count

My husband and I use a household budget to keep track of what comes in financially, and especially of what comes out.  One area that we really struggle with month after month, is our grocery budget.  The causes for this constantly puzzles me.  Although I admit that I do pick up an impulse buy once in awhile, we waste very little food overall.  For a small family our size though, the numbers never seem to add up--  We are spending too much!  For this reason, we decided that it was time to take try some new techniques that will hopefully make our grocery shopping more gentle on the wallet.

The first thing we have tried for this month is to create a Monthly Meal Plan.  In the past I planned our weekday dinners for the week (weekends I just left up in the air since our routine varies).  About a week before October 1st however, I printed a calendar online and started filling in the days with dinners and making my shopping list.  I marked several days with "Leftovers" or "Take Out", and tried to consider our work schedules and any events we will be attending.  Next, we made an enormous grocery trip for all of the ingredients we would need during the month.  I still planned a weekly trip to the store to pick up any fresh produce needed, but mostly we stocked our freezer and our pantry, and bought as many bulk items as appropriate.  

We are exactly halfway through the month, and things are going very well.  The meal plan has been a blessing in many ways.  It has reduced the stress of last-minute "whats for dinner?", and has also forced me to make less trips to the grocery store (thus reducing impulse buys).  I am already planning on trying to choose meals according to items on sale next month, to try to save even more money.

The second technique that we are experimenting with is coupon-clipping.  We decided to subscribe to the Sunday newspaper, and have started gathering coupons for items that we are likely to purchase.  I also registered with a few products that I am loyal to (Pampers, Target), so that that they would send me coupons, or notify me about sales.  I did not grow up in a family that uses coupons, and part of me still has doubts that $.50 off here and 1$ off there will make a big different, but I am willing to give it a try.  I honestly hope to prove myself wrong!

I do not think that we will hit our budget goal exactly by the end of this month, but we are making improvements, and I think that with practice we will get there.  I thought that it would be fun to share this adventure with other young adults learning the ropes of family life, and also ask-- What do you do to stretch your dollar?  Any additional advice for young families?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This article really couldn't have come at a better time! My husband and I were just talking about this last night, and you have given me some great ideas! Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

This article really couldn't have come at a better time! My husband and I were just talking about this last night, and you have given me some great ideas! Thanks! :)
--Ashley Figueroa

Chantal said...

One of the most surprising things to me was how flexible a monthly meal plan can be. Unlike in the past, when I had to go out to get ingredients, I have almost everything here in the house already. This means that if something unexpected comes up, it is really easy to switch to a meal I had planned on a different day. It was initially a lot more work, but overall has been really positive so far. I will have to give another update at the end of the month :).

CourtneyV said...

This is our SAME problem!!!! We tried buying Scrip cards from my school this month so we had a certain amount of money for groceries and the money wouldn't disappear... I like the monthly trip but I was scared with the large amount I would spend at COstco, forgetting that it would last almost a month - how do you shop for fresh stuff? Do you do small weekly trips?