Saturday, October 23, 2010

Think Pink?

Every October I always feel very conflicted about the Breast Cancer Awareness campaign.  On one hand, cancer awareness and raising money for a cure is always important.  Nevertheless, one of the largest organizations that contributing to breast cancer research to the Susan B. Komen foundation, who also happens to be a large supporter of Planned Parenthood.  It is so frustrating that a group claiming to help women actually supports abortions and contraception.  Don't they realize that oral contraceptives are one of the leading causes related to breast cancer?

I found this article especially interesting a helpful, in providing a Catholic perspective about the subject.

1 comment:

Jaunebug said...

I'm completely with you on this. Not only do I feel weird about supporting a group who professes to try to find out the cure for something while ignoring some of the main causes (contraception and abortion - one gives you a 30% increased chance, and the other a 40% chance of getting breast cancer, but I can never remember which is which) but also the breast cancer walks always look bizarre to me. I don't know why, but they usually end up looking like crazy pink hookers with fanny packs. How is this helping again?

I know that there are pro-life breast cancer groups who are good, but I don't know which ones. As it is, I don't feel good enough to give the Susan B. Komen people money... but I still feel bad about it because I know there are tons of women hurting out there who do need research.