Thursday, October 28, 2010

Thoughts from an "old" lady


For the last few years I have been dreading turning 30. And I mean dreading. I would often tell people that on my thirtieth birthday I plan to stay in bed and cry, so don't bother me. I would get nervous to tell people that I was almost 30 because I am still single and felt that my life hadn't really started yet. I look very young so it was often very easy to avoid admitting my age. Also, I hear all these things people say about women turning 30...


- Your metabolism dies.

- Your fertility drastically takes a turn for the worse.

- Your hips spread.

- You lose your memory.

- Your hair starts to go grey.

and on and on and on


People make it sound like 30 is the end of life as you once knew it. Granted my metabolism has slowed and for the first time in my life I have hips. I am getting forgetful and have found a few grey hairs that were immediately pulled from my head. What was amazing to me though was that when I did turn 30 on October 24th, I didn't cry, frown, or even worry one bit. Instead one of my dearest friends through me a huge party and I celebrated life. I decided that as a present to myself I would buy some new clothes that make me feel especially beautiful and remind myself that 30 doesn't really matter. I decided that 30 would be an opportunity to start a new chapter in my life. I am giving myself permission to be beautiful. This whole first week of being 30 I have dressed up and allowed myself to be beautiful. This blog is called defining beauty and that is what I did for myself this week. I redefined for myself that I am beautiful. I am excited to be 30. Yes I do feel different but you know what, I feel better!
Note: I am the one in the middle in the picture above. You would never guess I am 30 right ;-)

2 comments:

CourtneyV said...

It was a fantastic weekend and what a great party!!! You did look beautiful - you go with your dressing up! Work that 30!

Marcia said...

like.