Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Gratitude


As the year 2008 comes to a close, I am reflecting a great deal on the blessings of this year, and how I've gotten to where I am today. I watch Mina as she falls asleep in my arms and tears well up in my eyes at this beautiful gift of new life. As she sleeps peacefully, I think of her journey ahead of her. I think of the journey I've had thus far, the things I want to share with her, and mistakes I want to keep her from making. I am filled with an overwhelming sense of gratitude to our Lord, because, despite the mistakes I've made, He has brought me here.
I look around at all of us, and how we've all grown together over the years, and I'm just amazed. Several of us have been blessed with children this year, others of us living out vocations in careers of ministry, leading others closer to Christ in their work. We have all come so far from when we all began attending STM Lifenights.
The Lord continues to give us Himself each day in the Eucharist, and today, we celebrate His birth into our world. How beautiful that moment must've been to see the Divine infant open his eyes for the first time, and gaze at our grace-filled Blessed Mother. How honored must St. Joseph have felt to have the Lord wrap His tiny hand around just one of his fingers. I bet there were many times that baby Jesus tugged at his beard while learning how his hands worked. I wonder if Mary had to learn to put up some sort of a wee-wee blocker while changing his diaper. All of these moments which seem so mundane, yet our Lord, humbled Himself to be a tiny, helpless, newborn, just as we all were once.
We are blessed, and I am immensely grateful that He has given me the gift of knowledge of Him and His church so that I might love him more, the graces He's provided, and the people He's placed in my life, including my wonderful girlfriends.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a goodnight!

No comments: