Saturday, April 17, 2010

We Are Loved


I was sitting at the piano the other day when my niece crawled up onto my lap to play. As she sat there playing the piano, laughing, and looking back at me for approval I started to tear up. I sat there thinking about how much I love her. There is nothing that she can do to make me love her more and there is nothing she can do to make me love her less. I don't love her because of anything she gives me. I simply love her. If she threw the biggest temper tantrum in the world I would still love her. I never get tired of playing with her. I always want her to sit on my lap and am always a little sad when she says "I'll do it myself." I would drop anything just to give her a hug and an Eskimo kiss. I know that I will always do whatever I can to make sure she has whatever is best for her. All this love and I am only her aunt. I can't begin to imagine the love that a parent has for their child. It is tough for me to imagine loving someone more than I love my niece. I then realized that there is someone with a greater love, a love that is perfect and a love that is in fact focused on me. The unconditional love that I feel for my niece is the same as the love that God feels for me, only God's love is bigger and more perfect. There is nothing I can do to make God love me more and there is nothing I can do to make God love me less. He doesn't love me because of anything I give him. He simply loves me. Even when I throw the biggest temper tantrums in the world He loves me. He never gets tired of me and He gets a little sad every time I try to tell him I will do things myself. He would drop anything to be with me and He ALWAYS does what is best for me. I think it is hard sometimes as adults for us to remember that to God we will always be his little boy or little girl who he can't help but love and cherish. If you are a mother, aunt, or godmother, next time that special child crawls up on your lap and you realize how much you love them remember that God loves YOU in that exact same way but infinitely more. All we have to do is allow ourselves to be vulnerable and accepting of that love the way my niece always is. The way she runs to me with her arms open yelling "auntie" is just the way I can run into God's arms yelling "Papa" and rest assure that he will sweep me up in his arms and give me every ounce of his love.
Check this out:

No comments: