Friday, July 2, 2010

One Person Can Change the World

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”
~ Edward Hale

I recently re-found this quote. I used in a paper that I wrote in high school that I happened to stumble upon.

This quote can go in a lot of different directions. But, there are a few particular things that stand out. 

Society today has a mindset that what we do does not matter nor does it made a difference to anyone else. It saddens me greatly to think that people feel this way, especially in a time where there is so many ways to communicate and connect with others. Society today also tries to tell us that not even everyone's life is worth it! 
I've heard that there are six degrees of separation between everyone! And with the growth of the internet and modern technology, think about how much smaller the world is becoming! 

Everyone's actions changes those around them. And with six degrees of separation, that could go a long way. A simple smile in the grocery store when you are having a bad day makes that day a better one. A hug from a friend when you are lonely can be a God-send! 


Even people who society considers outcasts and of no use can change people lives!
My mom and brothers are the perfect example of this. 
When I was growing up, many people would come up to my mom and say "Oh, are they ALL your kids?" and my mom would answer, "Yes!". People seemed shocked and would continue to ask "Are they adopted?" And of course my mom responded, "Nope, they are all mine!"
People seemed shocked that my mom would want to continue to have kids even after her second child had disabilities. But, without my mom having each of her children, even the ones that she miscarried, I would not have become the woman I am today. 
I would have a different view of the world. My friends would not have been able to hang out at my house and see all the fun chaos that I grew up in!
And, at my little brother's funeral, the Church would not have been so full that there was barely any standing room.

So, if you ask me, everyone's life is important and crucial to the life of everyone else. Each decision made has an impact on those around you. 

I will do what I can, and I will do the rest "Through Christ Who Strengthens Me." (Philippians 4:13.)

No comments: