Friday, July 23, 2010

Only Love Creates

God therefore called man into existence, committing to him the craftsman's task.  Through his "artistic creativity" man appears more than ever "in the image of God", and he accomplishes this task above all in shaping the wondrous "material" of his own humanity and then exercising creative dominion over the universe which surrounds him.  With loving regard, the divine Artist passes on to the human artist a spark of his own surpassing wisdom, calling him to share in his creative power.
 - Pope John Paul II

I adore this quote about art and creativity.   In the past few weeks I have taken great pleasure in  choreographing a routine for my dance team.  I find myself driving home from rehearsals feeling especially satisfied with my work.  Call me crazy, but I have even lost some sleep due to my excitement about movement phrase ideas and counts.

We learn early in our lives that God is creative.  Children pray to God in thanksgiving for rainbows, lakes, puppies, ice cream and other wonderful creations that we can't image our world without.   Being made in God's image and likeness means that creativity and innovation is a deeply-rooted part of who we are.  This shines through the choreographer who busies himself by making dances, the artist staring at an empty canvas, or the co-creative parents who find joy in watching their child grow.  Creativity is written into our bodies, our minds and our souls. With our creativity we use our talents and gifts to make beauty and to glorify God.

It is amazing to me how easily art can be viewed as frivolous or trivial.  Are we not constantly hearing about art education programs being cut?  Did you know that creativity helps to develop an entire half of our brain?  This does not seem unimportant to me at all.  While majoring in dance during college, I was consistently asked what I would accomplish with an arts degree.  I was encouraged (and responsibily went along with the idea of) studying for an additional degree to exercise the left-side of my brain with a more rational or "realistic" major.  In fact, part of me truly believed that one day I would have to eventually part with my inner-artist to "grow up".  Several years after graduation however, I am discovering how important this aspect of my life and personality will always be.

Being creative does not only mean being a musician, a sculptor or a designer. Nor do you have to blow your budget for art supplies at Michael's. I discover my inner-artist when I bake, decorate my space, choose my outfit, play with my baby, photograph memories and even blog online!  Pursing these God-given interests and talents help me escape the ordinary day's routine, build confidence and find self-accomplishment in my life.  And did I mention that it is fun? 

Our divine artist calls us to share in His creative power.  St. Maximillian Kolbe quoted that "Only Love Creates".   Therefore, by using our gifts we can only reflect His love and goodness.  We literally make our lives and our world more beautiful and more like-God!  What is so frivolous about that?

Now it's your turn-- how do you express your artistic gifts?

2 comments:

Jaunebug said...

Funny that you write this because I was just thinking about it today.

When I think of "being creative" I always think of drawing (maybe clay sculptures) and since I can't draw my way out of a box, I tend to think of myself as "uncreative." However, I've always loved photography.

I like the idea of capturing what's already beautiful in life (weddings are really easy in some ways because everyone looks great!), and I like the idea that somehow light can imprint itself on sensitive paper and you somehow catch the image. it's one of those processes that I know exactly how it works, and yet, have *no* idea how it works at the same time.

Today I actually made/took the time to sit down and send a couple of prints to costco to put up on our walls. (huge accomplishment for me) And even doing that made me realize how much I miss taking photos. I think you're right that being creative isn't just something nice to do, it's important, if we're going to be fully who God calls us to be.

Andi said...

ok so I have been thinking a lot about this and I realized that while I am crafty and love doing left brain things, the way I am most creative is putting events (and anything involving lots of elements and people) together. I am a designer by nature. I was putting together my daughter's birthday this week (Robyn, I know you are expecting great decorations but I seriously am putting together the whole thing this week!) and the hour I spent planning and plotting and shopping online finally let me have a release. Turns out I haven't gotten to do much since Gigi arrived...

My favorite thing about events is how they gather people together. One of the coolest things I got to help plan and execute were the Lenten Friday meals at our church the Lent before last. While I didn't know much about cooking, I had fun findingnew recipes to try and figuring out how much to buy for 300 people. Then I got to go shopping at my favorite store Costco with a group and then the night of I go to assign volunteers jobs, sometimes cook, and one night I even got to go on a hunt for more fish and hour before the event. Anyways, bringing people together is my fave part of being creative. :)