Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day Ones

So today is "day one" of a couple things for me. First, we can wear pants again! I was actually a little excited only because I'd been wearing the same outfits for a month and missed my shirts that go only with jeans. So I got dressed, got the kiddos ready and went to the store. By the time I got back from shopping I was done with the capris I had picked out to wear. I kept having to pull them up and I realized I didn't have to do that in a skirt. I was very surprised at my realization that I liked wearing skirts/dresses more than pants. Not only did I not feel more feminine in my capris, but I probably looked ridiculous pulling up them up every 20 seconds.

My second "day one" adventure was driving a new car. Okay, not just a car, a 12-passenger van to be exact. With our third baby coming in 2 months and our desire to have a large family, my husband and I decided it would be best to get a large van instead of a mini-van. So yesterday we got it. Let me tell you all it is very intimidating to drive. I remember when voicing my concerns about driving a big van my mother-in-law (who has driven one for over 18 years) said "People definitely get out of your way" and they really do. I have only driven the van twice and I feel that people do watch out for you, maybe not consciously but they do. Driving this van is just another challenge I will have to face with God by my side saying "you can do it". There are lots of positives to having a big van. First, the kids love being up high and are able to see everything around them. Second, there is SO much space. I was used to cramming everything I could into my tiny Civic (which I actually got pretty good at) and now I feel I have all the extra space in the world! Third, we now have a cd player that works right (my civic didn't come with a cd player so I bought a cheap one). Finally, automatic windows and doors (another feature I've been without for 7 1/2 years). All in all this is very exciting and new.

4 comments:

CourtneyV said...

I love the story about the capris - I can just see you being so excited to wear them only to be irritated while shopping. Can your shirts you wear with jeans work with skirts?
Also, congrats on the new van - wow a 12 passenger! Good idea to plan ahead since you're well on your way to filling it up! We've been talking about a new car, but since we're still waiting on the kids we thought it might be too early to buy a van :) I might have to rethink it!

Anonymous said...

Yay for joining the "big white van brigade"!!! I love mine and I know you will have many happy years cruising the streets in yours too. :)
I enjoyed your observations about capris vs. skirts. I've been wearing skirts for over a year now, and you are right...I do way less tugging at my skirts than I ever did in my pants! I just never realized it until I read your post. Thank you!

Apple Jacs said...

I too went with a skirt today, despite the liberty of the dare being over. I never thought I'd say it, but I really am finding skirts/dresses to be more comfortable, especially with my big baby filled belly. Some days, a mumu sounds really enticing, hehe.

Actually, with sticking to the dress dare, I also managed to expand my creativity in my closet and put together some super comfy outfits with leggings under dresses/skirts. Now I'm hoping to find some short-style leggings to wear under skirts for greater mobility without flashing risk, while remaining hidden under the skirt/dress.

If anyone has any of those, or can recommend some, let me know!

Chantal said...

I wore bike shorts under my skirts during the dress dare if it was windy or if I was being more active than usual. :)