Tuesday, June 15, 2010

New-Baby Recipes

The week my newborn baby arrived, several lovely friends and family of ours brought over ready-to-eat or freezable meals, so that we could enjoy our babymoon with our new little one and not have to worry about doing groceries, cooking and dishes.  I will feel forever grateful for the kindness and the enormous help that this gesture provided for my husband and I. 

We are at "that age" where we spend many of our weekend afternoons showering new mothers.  I would love to be able to return the blessings given to me and help parents' of new babies by bringing meals to them.  It seems like one of the easiest and most popular items to bring over to new parents are casseroles.  I did not grow up eating casseroles however, and have absolutely none in my recipe collection.

Does anyone have any great freezable recipe ideas to make and bring to busy families?  I would love some suggestions...

5 comments:

Apple Jacs said...

This recipe tends to be a hit, and is a one skillet dish that also freezes well.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Jambalaya-I/Detail.aspx

This Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is a hearty hit in our house too. I usually cook a big batch for one meal and freeze the rest for a time when there may be a cold/flu in the house. Though it's on a GF site, you could just use regular noodles.
http://www.glutenfreemom.com/HomemadeChickenNoodleSoup.html

Karen said...

I cooked chicken cutlets, and just had to heat them up in the oven, heat up some spaghetti sauce and pasta, and voila! Chicken Parmesan! So maybe give frozen cooked chicken cutlets, a jar (or frozen homemade) of sauce, and a box of pasta.

Andi said...

I need to ask a stupid question: how do you cook the chicken cutets??
Sorry, it's just that I'm an awful cook (we rely on Costco frozen meals most of the time)

Apple Jacs said...

For Chicken Parm, I mix 1 egg and a dash of milk in a bowl, dip the cutlets in there (they should be pounded), then in the next bowl, bread crumbs and italian seasoning with a bit of italian seasoning and parmesan. Then I brown them up in a pan of olive oil. Pop them in the oven with grated mozzarella and parmesan on top for 30 min. at 375 and there's your chicken parm!

Cook twice as many chicken breasts as you'll eat at one meal and freeze the rest for another day. Then all you have to do is cook the pasta.

CourtneyV said...

I had to read this post like 8 times, I thought it said this week our newborn arrived and I kept thinking - what did I miss, Chantal wasn't pregnant when I saw her a few weeks ago - then I finally got it! :)