Wednesday, June 23, 2010

money, money, money...


So I was having one of those days where I balanced my checkbook after a period of summer where I had not been paying any attention to our bank account. We hadn't been spending a lot of money, or so I thought. $5 here, $10 there. Then I realized I owed $132 on my Chevron Card (we use our credit cards to build credit and pay them off right away). So I owed $132 and I suddenly I realized I only had $131 in my bank account. WAIT, WHAT $131 - Just days ago I had $600 in my bank account!!! What had I done???? Well apparently being irresponsible doesn't work and those little spots here and there add up quickly! After moments of irritation at myself and realization that I would have to pull money from the savings, I decided to move on with my day, at least we're healthy and have food in the freezer! THE LORD ALWAYS PROVIDES... I thought about a paycheck I was expecting from working the elections, but that was June 8th and it was expected to take 40 days so there was no hope I'd get that. THEN I checked the mail and guess what was in it, and it was for $185, not $175!!! The day continued to get better when I asked Phil to clean out a box we've had for a year and he pulled out a box with probably $15 in change..... GOD IS GOOD... He always takes take of his children - I just need to make sure I watch that bank account!

3 comments:

Karen said...

A thought: I take cash out of my account for the little spendings ($5 here, $10 there) so I can watch it go down. Then it's easier to balance my checkbook because I only have to put in one entry, rather than, say, 5.

Andi said...

I WISH I could use more cash (hubby hates when we have cash and wants to use the credit cards to trak things). For me having something tangible and watching it go down is better than having a credit card. I am so guilty of just adding little things to our Costco cart like outfits for the girls.

And Chimpy - I totally agree that God provides. It's just amazing. We needed somewhere to live when we were prego with Ella and voila, the price of the house we bought dropped $90,000 to make it affordable for us. When I was prego with Gigi our mattress was just the pits. We finally stopped sleeping on it and used our air mattress with a foam topper - a bajillion times more comfy! Then we found out some stocks had vested (a complete surprise to us) and we were able to buy a mattress!! God's timing is so amazing.

CourtneyV said...

Yeah I just love when He reminds us He's in charge - I babysat today and got paid! He is always taking such good care of us, sometimes I just get big reminders of that!