Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Love, HONOR, and obey


Whenever I go to playdates with our secular playgroup, many of the women spend their time complaining, complaining, and complaining about their husbands. We women seem to like to gossip and talk about other people in general and most of the time it is good and uplifts the person we're talking about.

I went to a wedding in 2004 and in the homily the priest said that when a woman complains about her husband to friends or tells his faults and shortcomings to the world she is breaking the vow she took of honoring her husband. Powerful stuff.

We really need to try and only speak kind words about others, especially if we're one flesh with them :).

5 comments:

Karen said...

I am on CafeMom.com and it amazes me how much women complain about their husbands. That made me decide to not complain about my husband in public. It's very disrespectful, and we actually talked about it and agreed not to do that to each other.

Jaunebug said...

Us too! When we were just married we decided to not complain about each other in public - we also talked about how even some jokes that make fun of each other seem to really undercut relationships, so we try to not 'poke fun" at one another in public unless we are trying to show love through our humor.

Not saying it always works, but I think it's helped a lot.

Jaunebug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colleen Hammond said...

I'm with you gals. It never made sense to me why people cut their husbands down, because in reality they're only cutting THEMSELVES down!

"This man is the man I picked out of all the other in the world to be the ONE MAN FOR ME. He's the BEST I could do." And you say he's....an idiot?!?

Anonymous said...

I could not agree more. I hate that our modern culture has a running joke where the wife puts down the husband in some way. You constantly hear it in radio ads or see it on TV.

I slip up sometimes and will complain to a friend or sister-- but I instantly feel so awful. Not only am I dishonoring him, but I am breaking the trust we established in our marriage. He would never do that to me and I try my ultimate best, with God's grace, to never do it to him.

Good post:)