Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Getting Ready for Summer


I grew up in Canada, where our summers are marked by an over-abundance of dark, delicious blueberries.  Since these tiny super-foods are in season right now, I thought that I would share one of my favorite family recipes for a blueberry cheesecake.  Unlike its rich, comforting counterpart, this no-bake "cheesecake" is light, sweet, refreshing and perfect for summer.  Altogether, it tastes exactly like a pool party from my childhood.  Enjoy!

Crust
2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
2 tsp of sugar
5 tbsp of melted butter

Filling
32 oz cool whip
1 tsp vanilla
8 oz of cream cheese
2 tsp lemon juice
1 cup sugar
4 or 5 cups of blueberries (fresh or frozen and thawed)

1.  In a large pan, place graham crumbs on melted butter (keep 1/2 of crumbs for the top of the cake).
2.  Cream together cheese, sugar, vanilla, lemon juice.
3.  Fold in cool whip.
4.  Fold in blueberries.
5.  Pour on top of crust and sprinkle the rest of the graham crumbs on top.
6.  Refrigerate or freeze until time to serve.

2 comments:

June said...

I am writing it down for Alex. I doubt I can make it as good as you though!

Kathryn Rose said...

Sounds delish! Mmm... Canadian blueberries... Yum yum yum!