Monday, August 2, 2010

A is for Acceptance

For almost a decade I've really felt a pull toward event planning. I just love coming up with ideas for parties and all the little details and coordinating all the elements so they come together somewhat seamlessly and all the guests have a nice time.

But I've struggled with feeling cheated. It's like my whole life people were asking me what I wanted to do and what I wanted to be, and while I've known pretty much my whole life that I was called to be a wife and mother, there really is no way to give myself 100% to both of my dreams and I eventually had to chose (or rather the horrible fatigue, nausea and vomiting I had when I got pregnant with Ella kind of steered me away from looking for a job).

Over the past 2 years the urge to do events has just been itching to get out and I finally feel like I've accepted the fact that I will most likely never be a great event planner with a booming business, but I can take the time to learn how to be a great mother - chances are the latter is the way God is calling me to get to heaven. But He also sent me a way to get to plan events on a small scale: my daughter's birthday parties (and my baby showers).

Looking back I realized that my mom "hired" me to put on my first baby shower because she lives 1500 miles from me and works full time and just wanted to show up and enjoy the party and my Grandma asked me for help with the 2nd one and now I'm working with my aunts/uncles to plan an 80th birthday party for Grandma. Guess I'm finally becoming the family party planner.

My biggest accomplishment has been planning my daughter's birthday parties. I have been very clear with my hubby letting him know that the parties are for me too! He pretty much gives me free reign (he is allowed to veto the theme and tell me if I'm going overboard) and I like to use whatever we already own as much as possible.

This year's party actually managed to turn out great even though I ended up putting it together the week of. Like starting that Monday night... if you are ever throwing a last minute party for your little one I highly recommend looking around your house for decorations and using cheap streamers. And maybe throwing a few kiddie pools on the lawn. :)

Anyways, I'm so glad that God has given me this creativity and a way to express it within my vocation. And also for the amazing family and friends that have helped with everything.

God Bless!

4 comments:

Apple Jacs said...

The cupcake cake is so cute! Did you make them? I love the icing color.

Andi said...

Thanks. My very talented friends Susan and Abbea actually designed it and made it. So good!

Chantal said...

I love this post. I've struggled with the same thing. I used to worry that motherhood would prevent me from being able to share my gifts and talents that God gave me. By letting Him guide my life though, I've realized that this is far from being the case. In fact, I am not using my gifts in ways that could not make me happier. (God always has a funny way of doing this when we finally let His will be done). It's often a temptation for me to look at others (without children) who seem to have more freedom to advance in their careers or do as they wish, but then I remember that when I am an old lady, it will be the memories spent with my family that will matter and of course staying on path towards heaven.

Property said...

Love this post (and all of the posts on this blog), it give me the little boost that I need to follow my vocation the way I know God wants me to :)

--Ashley Figueroa