Friday, August 27, 2010

W is for Work and Witness

Wow, did I wake up exhausted this morning!  I just finished coaching a high school dance team through their "work week", as they prepare for school to start.  This meant that my typical two-hour workday grew to almost a full-day of time clocked-in.  Sixteen months ago I would not have batted an eyelash at the concept, but adding motherhood to the equation brings it to an entirely new level.  To the working moms out there, I don't know how you do it!

I have felt specifically called to part-time work.  Although my employment started out as a financial necessity, it has turned into something much more than an extra paycheck.  Through teaching dance, I have found an creative outlet to share my love of the art and fitness, without sacrificing my primary duties of marriage and motherhood.  In some ways, I feel as though spending those hours each week away from my home rejuvenates me, brings me joy, and helps motivate me to always give my vocation my all.  I have spent many hours listening to music or working on choreography while doing laundry or housekeeping-- thus bringing enjoyment to some of my less exciting responsibilities.

More than this, I have also discovered my ability to use my talents to witness to those people around me.  In some environments that many not be the most naturally Christian, I have the opportunity to spread the love of Jesus.  This can be through love and support, mentorships with younger girls, and the example I pray to lead in the way I live my life.  In addition, by sharing my knowledge of dance, I truly believe that I can provide a healthy outlet and passion to the lives of many young people.

I recently came across an excerpt from John Paul II's "On the Dignity of Women" that struck a chord with me:
"The hour is coming, in fact has come, when the vocation of women is being acknowledged in its fullness, the hour in which women acquire in the world an influence, an effect, and a power never hitherto achieved.  That is why, at this moment when the human race is undergoing so deep a transformation, women imbued with a spirit of the Gospel can do so much to aid humanity in not falling."
This quote truly illustrates our situation and calling as women of God in our present day!  Andi described in her recent post the many hats that mothers wear.  Similarly, many women are being called to share their talents and gifts in the workplace.  God calls us where he needs us, and there is no doubt that He needs strong women in working environments as well.

My marriage and family is always my first priority, above work.  I am the only wife my husband has, and the only mother my toddler has.  At this time I have been called to full-time motherhood, my mom was "at-home", and honestly, I totally get it.  There is nothing wrong in simply being a wife or mother.  In fact, it is beautiful! 

At the same time, I do not believe that this means that a moms cannot aspire to a career, hobby, education or that "something more".  I have met women who work full-time from home, have their own business, or who balance family responsibilities between both parents.  Many moms take their "free time" to volunteer in the community, take on-line classes, or start creative projects at home, like scrapbooking, photography or sewing.  Like JPII stated, by acknowledging our vocation to its fullness, we as women will be able to change the world, whether it is in our home, or outside in a larger community.

1 comment:

CourtneyV said...

I really like my part time work! It's enough that I feel like I'm making a differance in the life of my students but not too much that I can't have time to get stuff done around the house! Some mornings are a bit hectic when my husband and I are up and out at the same time, but mostly I work afternoons so I have the morning around the house. I like having something that challenges me, I like having my work stories to tell at the end of the day. Above all it just makes me grateful that I have a great husband and that the Lord is teaching us how to live simply on one income!