Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Z is for... Zeal

Zeal, according to St. Thomas, "(From delos, a derivative of deo 'to boil', to 'throb with heat'), is 'a necessary effect of love', being 'the vehement movement of one who loves to [secure] the object of his love' (vehemens motus amantis in rem amatam, St. Thomas, Summa Theol. I-II:28:4)." When used most properly to its design (as our life's purpose is to know and to love God), zeal is the burning in our hearts for the knowledge and love of God.

I was driving last week listening to Matt Maher's, "Everything You've Done," per my daughter's request for "songs for Jesus," in which he calls us to "Dance for the Lord." This is our favorite part of the song. When I am most joyful, I am dancing and singing as if no one is watching, so the idea of doing this for the Lord, as David did before the Ark of the Covenant, stirs the fire of love for God in my soul. Perhaps this is also attributed to the fact that my reversion to the faith happened within Life Teen youth ministry. The organization has undergone some attacks in recent years with Msgr. Dale sadly falling away from the Church, but has always stayed Eucharist centered and in line with Catholic teaching. I can't deny the fruits in my own life. In fact, this blog was created as an extension of that ministry as most of us bloggers met there.

Nowadays, my faith has matured as I've grown in formation, and I hope that my zeal grows as my knowledge of Christ does. I am inspired by the silence I find in adoration with gregorian chant at St. Michael's Abbey, and by the unchanged beauty of the Tridintine mass, as well as by spiritual reading, and big or small experiences in my life. As women, I think we are particularly prone to growth from experiences in our lives. We tend to reflect and ponder more than men. While my husband may be on fire for sharing the truth of Christ after reading a chapter of a C.S. Lewis book, my heart is more often stirred by a person I encounter who is in need of the love or truth of Christ, something I may witness during the day, or simply by listening to the lyrics of a beautiful song praising God.

Whatever it is that brings out your zeal for the Lord, pay attention to it. Make sure to keep that as part of your regular routine and prayer life. We have an entire book in the Bible of songs written for Christ, and these are now daily Catholic prayers in the Liturgy of the Hours. Just don't forget to reignite that flame in your heart which burns for God. That initial fire that was sparked by my initial Catholic formation, amidst lots of praise and worship and friendships that lead me closer to Christ, should only be furthered as I grow in formation and virtue. It is that zeal for Christ that brought St. Paul to continue writing while in prison, that gave so many saints the strength to praise the Lord, even as they were being martyred.

A great, short commentary on zeal can be found at New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia.

1 comment:

Chantal said...

Love the photo. It truly emanates zealousness.