Thursday, August 12, 2010

J is for the Joy of Cooking


Much like our "H" topic brought to us by Apple Jacs, my topic is J is for the Joy that has to do with cooking meals for others. So I'm no Julia Child's but I love to cook for other people! I love hosting people at my house and making them feel loved and cared for! This week and next are special weeks in my household. My husband is a Band Director for a high school and these two weeks are Band Camp! Yes, Band Camp is real! Anyways every night the group takes a dinner break and last year (being our first year of marriage) I made dinner for him every night and took it to him at work. It was really just an excuse to see him since he's gone from 9am to 9pm. The other staff swore that I was only doing this since we were newlyweds and commented on how they remembered when their wives used to cook for them. I didn't plan on switching my course of action this year just because we were no longer newlyweds. What it's turned into is a joyous ocassion for me to get to take care of his friends. I started cooking for two other staff members that were staying with us. This year I get to cook again, except the number has grown. It seems there is always another staff member who doesn't have something to eat, or thinks that our dinner looks better. I get so excited when I serve them! The other night I didn't think there would even be enough for my husband and our 2 friends staying with us, but the Lord multiplied the loaves and 6 people ate! I've gotten creative with a budget and a shorter amount of time to cook this year but I just keep thinking it's great practice for having a family. Off to think about next weeks menu...

No comments: