Wednesday, August 18, 2010

O is for One

One is the loneliest number...


We have all probably heard that song right? I think that often times those who are single relate well to this song. Being single can be lonely. I am single and often when I encounter other women who are single and I notice we have very different perspectives on our state in life. It often seems single woman view their single state as an obstacle to overcome, something undesirable, something they are quick to get rid of. Being single there is the temptation to think that God has forgotten about you. It is hard to not think that God just doesn't have a vocation for you right now, especially if you have discerned that you are not called to religious life. If you are single you might find yourself asking God what the hold up is. You might feel like your life is on hold until you finally have your vocation. At one time in my life I felt that way. Then I read something Saint Therese wrote that changed the way I view being single. Saint Therese said "at last I have found my vocation, it is love." It finally struck me that I do have a vocation! God has not forgotten me! I have a vocation, IT IS LOVE! I might not yet be called to one of the three regularly recognized vocations of religious life, marriage, or consecrated single life but I do have a vocation. My vocation is to love. Realizing that helped me to see that being "one" is not a curse. It isn't a disease that needs to be cured. So many girls spend all their time looking for a husband and miss the opportunities that their single state brings. I have fully embraced being "one" and my vocation of love. I have been able to teach and help form today's youth. I was able to go to Honduras and serve Jesus in disguise in the poor. I am able to serve my family and friends in their needs. Being single doesn't mean my life is like a big waiting room and I am just listening for God to call my name and tell me my vocation is ready. Being single means God wants me to serve him and love with all that I have as one person.



I hope to one day be called to marriage and motherhood because it is a desire in my heart but until then, I know I am not lacking a vocation. Ultimately no matter what state we are at in life, we all have the same vocation. We are all called to love. Loving is at the core of being a woman. Don't miss the opportunities you have to love right now because you are focused on wanting something else.

No comments: