Friday, August 13, 2010

K is for Kenosis

KENOSIS

The voluntary renunciation by Christ of his right to divine privilege in his humble acceptance of human status. Paul describes kenosis aptly to the Philippians: "His state was divine, yet He did not cling to his equality with God, but emptied Himself to assume the condition of a slave" (Philippians 2:6-7). (Etym. Greek kenosis, an emptying.)

I googled "list of words in the Catholic Dictionary that begin with K." I saw the list and I picked this word to look up because it sounded interesting and I had no idea what it meant. What a beautiful word...today of all days made me want to cry because of the beauty of what it means.

The last couple of months, I have been involved in the filming of a short film that has the potential to be so beautiful. The story itself is beautiful. Unfortunately, because of my weak and sinful nature I am afraid that is being lost. The hard work, love and care that people have put into it is being poisoned by my actions.

Christ one hundred percent divine and 100 hundred percent human emptied himself for us, for me. He without sin came into the world and took on the very nature that needed to be fixed, our faulty human nature. I can't be but an infinite percent grateful, awed and humbled.

Today I feel empty...I know no amount of penance, suffering will ever make me worthy of His amazing sacrifice. I know that to be empty is the way to fill myself up with Him. And so...I am trying...

Don't get me wrong I haven't lost hope. I am extremely thankful for the graces and love that he continually showers all of us. He is Hope. He is love. With that being said...please pray for me.

:)

1 comment:

Apple Jacs said...

Beautiful sentiments. I never knew this word existed, but wow.