Thursday, August 5, 2010

D is for Dancing


In honor of all you dancers out there I couldn't let this day go by without mentioning how much dancing can reflect our femininity. The waltz is a beautiful metaphor for the relationship between a husband and wife. The man asks the lady to dance and she accepts. He then leads them to move along with the music. The dance only works if the man is a strong leader and the woman is an attentive and willing follower. The man must be aware of the ability of the woman and not lead her into a move of which she is not ready or capable of doing. The two must work together and be constantly attentive to one another. The women must have a subtle strength. At the core, the female waltz dancer is incredibly strong but she never lets that strength cover up her gentle movements. If done right the two dancers make the waltz look effortless and absolutely blissful. Remember ladies that ballroom dancing is all about making the woman look beautiful so although she may not be leading, she is the one who makes or breaks how the dance is viewed by the audience.


I used to compete in ballroom competitions and I always felt so feminine then when I was being led in the waltz.

5 comments:

Andi said...

We missed national dance day on July 31. Next year!

Apple Jacs said...

You totally captured why I love the waltz. The best part of our wedding dance was that as long as Leo remembered it, all I had to do was follow his lead and look pretty!

Chantal said...

I love this post, because dance is always in my heart. I've never tried the waltz, but I also feel so feminine when I dance ballet...

Chantal said...

P.S...I heart Ade :)

Andi said...

@ Applejacs - your first dance did look effortless. It helps when your hubby is confident in his dancing abilities. My DH was not thrilled about a first dance, and even after several weeks of dance lessons I still ended up talking us through our routine - but I give him lots of credit for doing what he likes the least (performing) in front of 300+ people. There was no sweet talk during our dance!