Friday, August 13, 2010

K is for Kitchen

I love to cook and bake. While doing dishes isn't my favorite thing in the world, to be creative in the kitchen and to enjoy the fruits (pun intended) of my labor is a joy for me. When my husband and I got married, I began cooking for two people every day instead of one and loved it. We got a recipe book from one of my best friends with some of her favorite recipes all ready to go and I just had to try them out (on a side note: what a fantastic wedding gift! Really from the heart!).  I really care about our health and knowing that what he's eating is good for him and also delicious (ahem) makes my day. What I didn't expect was that he joined me in the kitchen.

I didn't know this until we got married: my husband is an excellent cook and he loves to do it too. Give him a recipe for potato gnocchi and it'll come out perfectly. We now share this passion, watching Food Network, trying out new recipes and grocery shopping together. It's a fantastic way for us to bond. This past year has introduced us to so many different types of foods and cooking methods, with some (hilarious) failures and (delicious) successes. All to create great memories for our family. I can't wait to share this passion with our children and grandchildren one day!

Here's a recipe for chocolate cake that I got from allrecipes.com. If you haven't checked out that website, I'd really recommend it! (I'd also post my mother's world-famous recipe for chocolate icing, but that's a Sheridan family secret, unfortunately.)

Too Much Chocolate Cake


Servings: 12

Ingredients:

1 (18.25 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1 (5.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. In a large bowl, mix together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, beaten eggs and water. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour batter into a well greased 12 cup bundt pan.

3. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until top is springy to the touch and a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool cake thoroughly in pan at least an hour and a half before inverting onto a plate If desired, dust the cake with powdered sugar.


Enjoy!

4 comments:

Apple Jacs said...

Sounds awesome! I'm going to be trying this one. My husband and I have gotten really into cooking as well and are kind of Food Network junkies, so for our anniversary, I got us a cooking class from HipCooks (http://www.hipcooks.com/) in LA.

It was really fun, and it's way cheaper than most other places out there. You and your hubby may enjoy a class there to celebrate your upcoming anniversary too! I agree, it's such a fun bonding activity, and has delicious rewards!

Kathryn Rose said...

Wow, that sounds really cool! I might sign us up sometime this year. Thanks for the advice! :)

Chantal said...

I got to sample Apple Jac's attempt... It was AMAZING. I will be using this recipe again.

Apple Jacs said...

And that was the gluten free version! It's probably even better with the gluten, hehe.

It definitely wasn't sugar free though because at my prenatal checkup the next day, the nurse could tell I'd had a sugary dessert the night before, hehe.