Monday, May 24, 2010

Dress Dare e-mail received

I received an e-mail recently from someone who is participating in the Dress Dare. I thought it was worth sharing. I changed the company in individuals names...


I've been working at XYZ company as the receptionist. It's a really casual/dress down kind of work place. I told myself when I began working there in January that I was going to set a new standard and wear a dress all the time with the exception of a casual Friday here and there (sometimes I'll wear nice jeans and a fun/fancy/feminine/floral top on these "casual" days of mine).Well. I have never gotten so many compliments in my life nor so much attention from men! The cutest guy at XYZ told me that I looked stunning as always one day. Be still my heart :) One woman, who I didn't even know her name at the time, came up to me and started describing her dresses she has at home and which one I thought she should wear that weekend to go salsa dancing with her husband. She and I are now pals and she is dressing adorably at work. My boss has begun to wear dresses too. She's a total tomboy. When I first started working there, she was always wearing cruddy jeans and sweatshirts paired with black tennis shoes. She has slowly begun to incorporate long skirts and today she wore a dress! One of the directors was chit chatting with me when she walked in the lobby, he goes "WOAH! Susan, you're a GIRL!" Ha! She totally blushed and giggled. You can just tell in her demeanor that her femininity flourishes when she's not in the jeans and tennies. I'm working on the baristas at the coffee bar now. They keep saying how they love my dresses and wish they could dress up for work. I keep telling them they should. They say they don't want to get coffee mess all over their dresses. I tell them to get a couple cheap dresses/skirts at Goodwill or even Old Navy that are their "barista dresses". They're still hemming and hawing, but I think it'd be so cute if they were serving up lattes in their dresses. I told them they'd probably boost their tips as well ;) So, I just got promoted to the Sales team and some of the credit I'm sure goes to my appearance. They're the classiest bunch in the whole company. That lady that was asking my advice on her dresses is on my team! Anyway, I just wanted to share that with you. I think the dress dare is great! Keep up the good work lady!

4 comments:

Karen said...

That's awesome that something so simple would spread so quickly! Good for her for setting a new standard, and getting others on board by her example. Now what would happen if we wore our faith so boldly?

Apple Jacs said...

That is so cool!

Courtney said...

I love that people are asking her advice about dresses! I feel like people are always making a big deal about my dresses too and sometimes in an almost jealous manner - I just think ... all women can wear dresses and it's cheaper to buy one dress than to buy a whole outfit!

Little Monkey said...

Good point Courtney. Add the cost factor to the list of reasons why dresses are awesome.