Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The First Lady

Here is just one more reason I'm glad we are doing this dress dare. I don't want to curse the darkness, and be super negative, but this picture just gave me a lot to think about. Shown here is our current "First Lady." To me, she looks nothing like a lady at her most recent state dinner for the President of Mexico.

When I think of a First Lady, I think, "Jackie O" in her beautiful dresses and classy skirt suits. She epitomized class and elegance. I think this is just one more reason for us to redefine what it means to be a lady. Clearly, in our culture today, we need to bring back formal wear that doesn't mean less clothing, or being so made up that we look nothing like our natural selves. Let us look to Our Lady, not the "First Lady" for our standards of what makes us a "lady."

2 comments:

Jaunebug said...

"being so made up that we look nothing like our natural selves" So true!

Honestly, it's like when you're 15 and you get dressed for a dance with a bunch of other 15 year olds. You end up piling on the makeup and wearing some crazy dress that everyone thinks is "so fun." Then you get to the dance and realize you look like some awkward kind of doll.

Mrs. Obama is really a beautiful woman, but I think she has too many helpers telling her she looks "so fun".

(My husband just came up, saw Michelle's picture, and said "She has a hard time being elegant. She just has a hard time being a lady." Engough said.)

Claire said...

I agree. Although I don't agree a bit policitally with her (or her husband), Mrs. Obama is a naturally lovely woman, and I think even naturally classy...she just has too many ditzy fashion advisors that are trying to "show her off".