Sunday, May 16, 2010

Dare to Veil?


Congrats ladies! We are almost halfway through our dress dare!

I don't know about all of you, but this challenge has compelled me to really think about femininity in every facet of my life, but more particularly, in my appearance. One aspect of this, is the donning of the chapel veil, or mantilla, in the presence of the Eucharist, or Christ in the tabernacle. I've thought mantillas to be a beautiful sign of reverence for Christ for several years now, but haven't necessarily worn it on a regular basis to mass, except when attending Tridentine or Novus Ordo mass. While it wouldn't be an issue in my home parish (we're so blessed to be near a Carmelite parish with orthodox priests and parishoners), I have at times felt compelled to put on my chapel veil while away from home, and encountered dirty looks and complaints from fellow Catholics, mostly women.

Personally, I find the veil to be a gift we've been given to distinguish ourselves, as women, from the men, in worship. It is not something that degrades us, but rather, guards us, and shows our value. They are frequently made of pretty, delicate lace, and is simply another way we can adorn ourselves in reverence for the Lord. The tradition of the chapel veil is an immemorial custom of the Catholic Church. As of 1917, this tradition was enforced by the Code of Canon Law. It has not been mentioned in the code since, but the custom became less and less popular probably not coincidentally, with the rise of feminism in the 1960s.

Since this dare, I am feeling compelled to veil my head in the presence of the Eucharist on a more regular basis. I am appreciating the feminine dress, and as I was veiled on my wedding day, it does remind me of how I dressed for my husband and the Lord on that sacramental occasion.

I thought this quote on the veil, from St. John Chrysostom, was particularly beautiful: "Woman, because she was created by being drawn from man’s side, is constantly trying to return to him. She desires the original unity of one flesh and one bone. The desire for unity between man and woman is a mirror of the relationship between Christ and the soul. As woman longs for union with man in human relationships, she is also drawn to unity with God. He calls her to become one with Him: to come under His side and become flesh of His flesh and bone of His bone. This occurs during reception of Eucharist. The covering of the head with a veil symbolizes the reality of woman sheltered in the side of her Source and becoming one with Him. She becomes covered and hidden in her Divine Spouse."

If anyone is interested in exploring this topic more, here are a few other blogs I found informative:
and a friend recently recommended the book, The Chapel Veil: Symbol of the Spouse of Christ, by Elizabeth Black & Emily Griswold, though I have not read it yet.

Anyone else feeling inspired to express their femininity more in other ways?

7 comments:

Rachel Linder said...

I've worn a veil to Mass and anytime I'm in the presence of our Lord in church or adoration for over a year now. This was a long hard decision for me. One I felt God calling me to for over a year before finally saying "yes". I was worried about all the typical things...what will people think? Will people comment? Will people think I'm strange? So I kept saying "no" even though I knew God really wanted me to say "yes". So Holy Week of 2009 was when I finally said "Yes" to God and the sense of peace that followed was amazing. It took me about 6 months before I felt comfortable wearing it anywhere. In my own parish there are about 6 of us who wear a veil, but out of over 3,000 families that isn't very many. Most other places I'm the only one.

Since starting to wear a veil I've found myself more and more thoughtful about modesty and my own feminity. I've been seeking out skirts while shopping and last summer wore skirts several times a week and really missed them over the winter when I had none to wear. I have also started wearing skirts only to Mass and making sure my shoulders are always covered. It's been a slow transition for me. When I saw your dress dare I knew I had to participate and have been loving it. I really do think the veil is such a wonderful gift for us women to be able to wear and such a priviledge. I also think it leads us more and more to cherish our feminity; a good thing in my opinion.

Little Monkey said...

I am much like you and shy away from the veil when in a parish where no one else wears the veil. It is silly and I should start wearing it no matter where I am.

Little Monkey said...

Oh and by the way it is tradition to wear a white veil when not married and a black veil once married. Similar to what sisters do.

Rachel Linder said...

I used to be shy and very self conscious about wearing my veil where I was the only one or where people might know me. I really just forced myself to, which was extremely hard, and now I can't imagine not wearing it. Ask me how I feel come July when we go on vacation w/ my husbands parents, sisters and brother and their families. None of them know I wear a veil (and a lot of us live in the same town). Don't ask me how I've worn a veil for over a year and not gone to Mass with them yet; even we can't figure it out. I'm really nervous about for some reason, but at this point I don't really care, I just don't want to have to answer a lot of questions.

Anonymous said...

I have been veiling for a while now (a few months) and I've found it can be awkward (especially at visiting parishes) but that mostly, it allows me to not focus on myself, but to focus more clearly on God. I blogged about it here:

http://fumblingtowardgrace.wordpress.com/2009/11/16/to-veil-or-not-to-veil/ and here:

http://fumblingtowardgrace.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/chapel-veil-part-2-of-2/


God bless!

A Catholic Wife said...

I've been veiling for about 5 months now and I can't go back! Now I feel... naked... if I'm in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament without my veil. Even when it's awkward, like at visiting parishes, being able to offer up that awkwardness is truly valuable. I am now making my own chapel veils at VeilsbyLily.com in case anyone is interested. Most of my veils are made with re-embroidered lace (also called Alencon lace) which drapes beautifully!

DS said...

I am happy to say that since I converted, I have attended Mass at a traditional SSPX chapel where all the women wear veils. When I visit a cathedral I always hope someone will ask me why I where it so I can take the opportunity to explain and explain the True Presence of Our Lord in the Holy Eucharist... much like when I where the Miraculous Medal and non-practicing Catholics notice and start asking questions. It's a wonderful blessing to be part of spreading the True Faith!! May God bless you and help you grow in the virtues of modesty and femininity! The world needs to see this in women.