Tuesday, May 25, 2010

God's Hands and Feet, Without the Arms and Legs


This past weekend, I had the incredible honor of meeting Nick Vujicic, the man with no limbs. You might've seen or heard his inspirational story before, and he truly is inspiring. As soon as I introduced myself, he replied, "Hi Jacque, could I have a hug?" He doesn't have a hand to shake, and can't make the effort physically, so he has to ask for a physical greeting from strangers.

This simple question warmed my heart and had a deep impact on me. I am someone who struggles with allowing someone to help me around the house. I very rarely let anyone even put the dishes in the dishwasher because I am neurotic about how I arrange them. For this reason, bed rest was very good for me. I am slowly learning to let go of the pride that keeps me from first, following doctor's orders, and second, allowing others to accumulate graces by helping me. Whereas, this man is so humble, and so dependent on others, that he will ask for a hug! He relies on others for holding a cup to his mouth to drink, feeding him, bathing, even sitting him on a couch. He can't initiate physical contact himself, something that is vital for all of us as humans, so he asks.

My friend, Eduardo, said, "I want a poster of Nick in my room, so that if I ever feel like complaining, all I have to do is look up at him, and realize I'm being ridiculous." I have to say, I feel exactly the same and just might do it. I am so insanely spoiled, and while we do all suffer in our own way, I have NOTHING to complain about. This man knows that God has a plan for him, and although he doesn't always see it, he rejoices. He's not incapable of crying. He went through quite a bit of despair in his younger years, until he learned, to choose to rejoice. Now, he uses what he has, an incredible ability to speak motivationally and evangelize. He travels the world doing this, and bringing joy to everyone he meets. He can do this by playing a joke, like having his friends stuff him in an overhead compartment of a plane and surprising the next person who comes to put their luggage away, or by telling women like me, that they're beautiful no matter what shape they are, or whether they're wearing the latest styles. He is spreading the message of the love, and joy of Christ to the world, despite having no legs to get himself around. He allows himself to be God's hands and feet, though he has none.

If you have never heard Nick speak, or even if you have, watch his video here, and it will brighten your day. Or check out his acting debut, in the award-winning short film, "Butterfly Circus."

P.S. Chantal, he's from Melbourne.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is such an amazing soul with an inspiring story! Thank you for posting!