Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Imitation of Mary

As many have mentioned in previous posts the Blessed Virgin is our perfect example of femininity as well as motherhood for some of us. May is also the month of Mary so I was thinking we could read a Marian book, such as The Imitation of Mary or The World's First Love, along with wearing our beautiful dresses and skirts. The Imitation of Mary would be easiest for us moms because they are short, but beautiful, meditations with prays at the end about how to imitate Our Lady in our daily lives. I will say thanks to Occultus Matris (how did you get this nickname?) for giving me the idea with her meditation and prayer post yesterday.

The picture to the right is called Innocence and is one of my favorite Marian pictures. Doesn't she look so beautiful and Jesus and the Lamb look so peaceful in her arms? Just thought I would comment on my own post about the picture.

It is now day 4 of the Dress Dare and I am proud to say I am 4 for 4. I must say that wearing skirts really is comfortable. I really do feel more feminine in skirts/dresses. My sister has taken the dare and said she might start wearing skirts/dresses everyday!

4 comments:

Monique said...

What a beautiful image!!

Little Monkey said...

Imitation of Mary is a wonderful little book. I highly reccomend it.

Ms. Ruiz said...

I am really enjoying this dare way too much. My students have noticed the dresses/skirts, and I feel so much more feminine. I had an interesting conversation about the dare with a female coworker, who went to college in the days of the "feminist movement" when she had really warped ideas about rejecting the uniqueness of women in favor of "equality" with men. She even said that back then, she would've looked down on me for this dare. But she said she realizes now that true femininity means celebrating those unique qualities that God granted to men and women. I ended up being really encouraged by her, and I pray that God allows me more opportunities to talk with people about this experience.

Chantal said...

Wow that is cool Ms. Ruiz! I cannot help but wonder what kind of statement wearing dresses means to an older generation, and it is encouraging to hear what your coworker believes.