Monday, May 24, 2010

The Princess and the Frog

We watched the Princess and the Frog a couple of times with Big G. This is the first time she's ever seen a princess movie and she seemed t like it (for the short periods when she was watching it, anyways).

I'm really torn about this movie. I liked the quickly unfolding love story between Tiana and Naveen because they started out not liking each other, it grew into friendship, and then a proposal was on the way. Very clean - good for a kids movie. I also fell in love with Raymond, the little Cajun firefly. The music was great and Big G and I were able to dance along with the characters.

On the other hand, the "magic" in this Disney movie was much much darker than the norm. You can tell a child that fairies don't exist, or that witches don't exist, but the way that "friends from the other side" aka demons were being summoned in this movie IS real. It was honestly just too real for me, and I had to look away during some parts.

That's my take on the movie. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Apple Jacs said...

This was Mina's first princess movie too! She enjoyed it, though I fast-forwarded every evil part in it. One time I missed one, and she started exclaiming, "Mommy! Mommy!" She is very easily scared by darkness or tension.

I enjoyed the movie for it's message that appearances aren't important, and that Tiana was not like her friend, swooning and just awaiting her prince. She was actively pursuing her goals, living in the present. I actually appreciated that the evil was clearly evil too. Though scary for my almost 2 year old, it showed that voo-doo is not something to toy with. Overall, I thought it was quite well done, and yes, I totally started balling when the 2nd star appeared in the sky (if you've seen it, you know what I mean). The pregnancy hormones make me quite sensitive these days.