Saturday, May 1, 2010

I wear the skirt


in my marriage, in my family. And this is not a bad thing.

I am a women who is happy to be a women. Nothing against men, but I am not trying to be a man and am glad I'm not a man. I would make a terrible man. I am soft, feminine, supportive and loving to my husband and (hopefully) to all people around me. I am not weak, nor unintelligent, unmotivated, and I am not "mooching" off my husband's hard work.

And it makes me upset when people assume that feminine = weak or anything of the like.

For instance, we are looking into buying a house. And without going into too many details, it was made clear to me that my husband was considered the buyer (or as they put it "the decision maker"), while I was the little wife whose ideas, thoughts and questions were not as important. I am sure that the stress of looking for a house, and pregnancy hormones did not help.

But when I told (was complaining to) some friends about this, they're answer was "and you're going to wear skirts for a month?"

Somewhere along the way, I think people decided that all skirts were made out of doormats. This is why I've decided to do the Dress Dare. All the women that I know who are doing this are strong, beautiful, intelligent women. Women who you look up to. Women who you see in a skirt and think "well, if she's wearing a skirt, then maybe it's a good thing." Maybe all these ideas about how wearing a skirt means that you've given up on your own identity, you're own soul, are wrong.

Well - I'm glad to wear the skirt, and glad that some of my brilliant friends are challenging the rest of us to show the world with what we wear that true femininity means being a strong, beautiful, soft, intelligent, confident, rational being enlivened by God's own spark burning within us. (And not some wanna-be in an ugly pant suit.)

Grab your skirts, shave those legs and join us!

2 comments:

Little Monkey said...

What a brilliant post. Loving, serving, and honoring your husband does not make a woman weak. Quite the opposite, it makes her strong because she is being who God created her to be. I am proud to wear a skirt. Femininity is powerful, just ask Saint Catherine of Sienna.

michelle said...

Don't lose the skirt, lose the real estate agent. Any agent who is too dumb to know that it is generally the wife who falls in love with the house and convinces her husband that it's the house to buy probably doesn't know a lot about inspections, termites, and other general laws.